Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I'm at the Cross Roads!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM
MotoADHD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I'm at the Cross Roads!!!

I'm turning 51 this year. I got my first bike when I was 7, a Honda Mini Trail 50 and there have been numerous Hondas, BMW's, Ducati's, KTM's, Suzuki's and Yamaha's in the garage ever since, but never an HD. I'm sorry, but I always felt they were too slow and heavy to get out of their own way.
Last week I rented a 2012 Fat Bob and did 262 miles of pure bliss through the mountains and deserts here in So Cal. It was one of the most enjoyable rides I have ever had. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an '12 Fat Bob with ABS in pearl blue for $18.3 OTD. I guess I need a little hand holding here and I'd like to hear reflections HD riders who have made the switch from sport bikes and never looked back. Just to show how conflicted I am, my current ride is a KTM 990 SuperMoto (it makes me ride like a freak'n nut job). I only have room & funds for one bike so it's one or the other. How long will the love affair with the Fat Bob last?

Thanks!

Don

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man...I rode rice rockets for years and still have my 97 cbr900 that I bought brand new at age 22. I now have my Harley pictured in this post. I am a walking conflict too, but that is good. If I'm feeling psycho I get on the rocket, If I feel laid back I'm on the Softail. It seems as though I am ridding my CBR less and less though since I got the Harley. No reason you can't have both just because some Harley dudes try to make you feel like less of a man since you ride something else. It's nice to have a choice when you open the garage.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Rmuller
Cruiser
Default Awesome

Gonna need motor work!! At least heads and cams! Suspension also a must.

After that you won't look back. Buy used low miles, and lots of work already done. Very least, pipes and tuner.

Rudy

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It truly depends on YOU.

I have ridden metric cruisers and sportbikes (and nothing else) growing up, into my late 20's. V-Stars, Royal Stars, GSX, R-1... It's apples and oranges. I bought my Dyna Superglide Custom last year, and while there are times when I think it'd be fun to hop back on a Sportbike again... No. I won't do it, mainly because I know I'll get back on and ride like an ***.

On my Harley, I'm in 'the zone.' Not trying to sound like a tree-huggin hippie, but it's a completely different feel. I don't feel like I'm holding on to a rocket trying to take off (as I did on sportbikes) but I feel like I'm part of the bike, and while I still occasionally have moments where I roll on the throttle to feel that torque pull me down the road a bit harder, I think a lot of people do that.

Of course, you're asking a buncha Harley guys on a Harley forum, they'll all say 'Get the Harley' and some will say 'Get THIS Dyna instead' whereas others will say "It doesn't matter what WE think, it matters what YOU think."

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I have done the same path as you for the most part. I took delivery of my FB on Feb 17 & I can not get the grin off my face. I really can't wait for the temps to warm up a bit so I can get some all day rides in.

I can tell you that this bike has a whole different feel to it than any of my sport bikes. I don't have a sport bike currently to jump on to compare but WOW does the FB seem to have a whole lot of low end & I have not even had a chance to really crack it open. You probably noticed a difference on your rental.

IMO pull the trigger, unless you dont want that constant grin on your face.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
roofer
Road Master

Buy used and have both

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think having the luxury of multiple bikes is over-rated. I would find myself always riding the "ONE" I liked most. Then just out of guilt or necessity (bagger vs. bobber) I would ride the 'other' bike. Get what YOU know you will ride and enjoy, That's the bike you want... I have a Fat Bob and have loved every minute of it. Have had her over two years and still modding and smiling. btw: I just turned 50 and I'm not looking back....

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
zrx4me
Cruiser

I traded a '06 ZX14 for my first fat bob in '09.now im on my second and still love it.I guess I just matured enough to appreciate the fat bob over a sport bike.Still ride a DRZ400SM to work,but on my days off its all fat bob.By the way,thats a lot of money for the '12.Try shopping around a bit most dealers are giving discounts these days.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
grubeda7
Advanced

Ive got an 11 WG and a 08 CBR 1000RR in the garage. Ride em both and love em both. I'll laugh sometime when I hit the throttle on the WG and I dont go anywhere (just make a lot of noise). +1 on buying used, let someone else pay the sticker price and do the initial work, you'll save a lot of money that way.

And "Crash75" definitely dig your taste in bikes. Ive had 3 900rr's and actually looking to buy back my 99 this week. Miss her

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
DTDK
Road Captain

I own lotsw of motorcycles, including an aprillia RSV, I find my self on my dyna 90% of the time. Only ever so often do i find myself taking the aprillia or triumph 900 out anymore, just when the mood strikes me right for a moonlite ride on the river roads at ***** out speed.

I do second what most everyone here says though, buy used with low miles, pipes, air cleaner and with luck a tuner. Lots and lots of them out there for fair money, then maybe you can keep your second bike, or drop the saved money into suspension upgrades.

This winter i did the following to my bikes suspension

Road glide rear air shocks (12 inch units), with the oil changed out to mobile 1 ATF
ricors intiminators with amsoil fork oil in the front
and a steering damper

I need to still do the sputhe or true track stiffeners, and get fork brace to really maximize the bike

if you feel the power is lacking, ad a set of cams and get it dyno tuned.
right now i am waiting on my andrews 48h cams, and i hope to get the fabled 90 hp 106 tq out of them.

Quick Reply: Help, I'm at the Cross Roads!!!