Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob fender mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
WoodrowWillson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob fender mod

I have a 07 Street Bob. I recently took off the rear taillight and used dyna glass to smooth the whole fender. Then used flat black rattle can to paint. It all came out great. Then I went for a ride. When I got back I noticed that there was a crack at the top of the whole for the tail light. If I put pressure on the bottom of the fender it would flex at this spot.

Can I just add support to fix this problem? If so what would be the best way?

I am hoping I can do all this myself. So far i only have $100 in the fender mod. I made n LED running and tail light that mount above the side mounted lisence plate.

It all looks real clean I just need to fix this fender issue.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
streetbobkid
Road Captain

Did you just use glass, you really need to weld in a filler plate, its just not a good idea to skip that step.

Cutting corners always costs more money, being that you are now $100 into a project down the drain

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, even if you build up the glass thick enough to not flex, you still have to deal with shrinkage as it cures. It is better to find an old fender scrap, or a damaged rear fender to cut out a filler plate and have it welded up. Just ask around on this forum, there are usually a few guys with a scrap left over from boboing their fender.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever I shave rear fenders, I weld up the tail light COMPLETELY, then do bodywork. I’ve seen fenders that have had metal welded in and still crack, because they weren’t welded all the way. If you don’t weld it, it’ll just keep doing the same thing no matter what kind of filler you use.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
streetbobkid
Road Captain

Exactly, it needs to be fully welded, pinholes will show through the body work eventually. I would seam seal and finish the inner side for protection. If you ride in the rain and don't do something to protect the inside, water will get into the seam of the filler plate and cause rust which will end up showing through.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
WoodrowWillson
Advanced

Thanks fellas. I will get a plate welded in it. I was thinking about that to begin with but I listened to a do it your selfer car auto body guy and he said just go with the dyna glass. I will hit up my uncle who can weld it. Not out that much. Pretty much just the dyna glass and some elbow grease. I love doing this stuff and learning myself. That's just about my fav part of the bike.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
WoodrowWillson
Advanced

Would anyone have a bit of fender I could have or buy off them?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

weld it up man that is how i did mine ill look to see if i have any scraps from any of the ones i have done... we have done 6 or 7 now... that is way to much glass to fill in that area on metal and now have it crack. have ot use it to fill smooth now fill in huge gaps like that bud.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've still got what I cut off of mine. You can have it for postage if you want it. Should be plenty to do what you want. Pm me if interested.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
WoodrowWillson
Advanced

JRK- yeah I learned that the hard way. Now I am gonna have to get the glass off somehow and weld it. Should be a good time.... I am gonna check one of the local shops and see if they have any scraps I can have. I would bob it completely like Robbie's but I like to have a place to stick a bitch seat for the ladies to ride.

Robbie, what kind of seat do you have on yours?

I will try to get some pics uploaded soon

Quick Reply: Street Bob fender mod