Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on windshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 PM
spark1707
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on windshields

I just got the detachable compact windshield for my 03 FXD. I tried it out this weekend and did I get a lot of buffetting. I was like a popsicle stick in a tornado. Windshield was installed correctly. It appears that the shield is almost vertical and is a bit short for my height (5'8"). I was thinking of trying the HD touring windshield. Anybody have the HD touring shield? How do you like it?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on windshields

I have the touring windshield. The attachement is differant than my '97 WG. On the old bike, there were four attachement points bolted to the forks. And there were 4 hooks that went over them, with a simple latch to hold it all in place. Easy to do, looked good. But no adjustability of any kind.

The new windshield has four large clamps attached to the frame. Nothing is bolted to the bike. They simply clamp on to the fork tubes. Not as elegant, but easier. Has kind of a bulky look to it.You have some up and down adjustment. I found that the buffeting was worse with the windshield in the highest position, and best when it was down as low as it could go.

I like it. Easy on and off. Easy to adjust height to your liking. I won't leave town without it attached. And I leave it on all winter.

I'm considering some lower extension to improve air flow at higher speeds. Also thinking about hand grip shields for winter use.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I know you feel. I bought a compact shield and then bought the standard height, still buffetting like crazy. I give up. I would rather deal with the wind except it's kind of cold this time of the year.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's difficult to respond to this question because everyone's idea of bad buffeting is different. I don't mind a little...another guy might not be able to stand what I can...and visa versa.
I have the detachable super sport shield (for 06 WG). It works fine for me. It's made a huge difference, especially in cold weather and on the highway.

The only advise I can give is what was given to me when I purchased mine. The guys at the dealer all told me that the top of the shield should be about nose level. Mine is right about there, and like I said..it works fine for me. I don't know if no buffeting is possible to be perfectly honest...unless you built a shield to completely surround you.
Just my .02

Todd

Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
stubby
Road Captain

It is a matter of what you want the windshield to do. The higher the windshield the more restricted your vision.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

I had the compact windshield on my Bob for the last year, I tried moving up and down on forks, it worked ok around town under 50, but got a lot of buffetting above that, I ride with 3/4 helmut and full face shield and wear glasses. The helmut shaking at high speeds really strained vision and had to do away with trifocals while riding. I just got touring windshield last week and it seems to have taken care of the helmut shake completely at 60 and below, but haven't had out on long highway ride yet, hope to do that this weekend and then will experiment with heighth adjustment on forks, right now it goes about 2" above line of sight at top of forks. Hope this helps

Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

That's my situation exactly. Same helmet and face shield plus I wear glasses. Blurred Vision!! That's why I went to the expense of getting the taller shield. Let me know how you make out with the Touring. I didn't have much luck going from compact to standard...

Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 PM
badbs101
Road Master

It's a catch 22. I give up. I have decided I prefer the full blast of no windshield to the look and buffeting of a windshield. Some guys have reported success with the Windvest brand windshield. They're kind of expensive and I haven't tried one. Apparently the angle is adjustable and there is a lip on the top soif you set it at enough of an angle the buffeting is greatly eliminated.The HD windshields are straight up and down so buffeting is a problem.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
ad2
Cruiser

I have the HD removable shield and get quite a bit of buffeting. I was told it is more of a problem with the WGs because of the angle of the forks. I bought the "aerovest" advertised on this forum and it makes a huge difference, when I wear it.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
kpmurphy
6th Gear

I have a07 Dyna SG with the standard windshield. It stinks. I am not the first to report on buffeting. Some up and down adjustment helps but does not solve the problem. As someone in this thread said if one could move the shield to more of an angle back if might help. It does. I made and someone else had the same idea two 2" pieces made from 1" aluminum to push the shield out. Hope the pic shows the idea. I used 1" by 1/4 bolt for the top section. I still need to fit the washers on the top section better. The slot in the al is 5/16 and you have to widen the lower section to fit the bottom stock bolt.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20417/474537C96D3B44CFA396BBB6D0B85B6F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Question on windshields