Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on windshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on windshields

Jaxdwg,
I do not own one yet, yet. I own a full shield and tried the hand at chest and dam what a difference, so I just wanted to say nice job on the invent!!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok How about a free "AeroVest" for New Years? Click on the right border on the AeroVest ad then go to contact on my website and tell me your height, weight, and what bike/windshield combo you have and also the rest of the regular info and I will draw a winner and announce after the 1st of the year. Somebody's going to get an "AeroVest" for the New Year -----cheers and good luck-----jack

Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 PM
spark1707
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotJack's vest and it really works!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

What kind of windshield do you have?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 PM
spark1707
Cruiser

I am still in search of the perfect shield. I have the detachable compact shield and I gettoo much buffeting for my satisfaction.
I had a Vulcan with a shield and I could light a cigarrette at 70mph. Wouldn't do it, but I could.
I just boughta HD touring shield off of ebay and it came in damaged. I am returning it but I just tried it out and there's not much difference in wind reduction than the compact.
I did try something and it seems to help. It looks like the shields from HD are not raked enough, so I mounted the compact as you normaly would. Then I loosened to top clamps where they attach to the forks. I then put my hands on the outside of the center brace of the and pushed on the shield. Don't you know it but I was able to get about 1-1&1/2inch of rake on it. The center nut on the horizontal brace is about 1/8 of an inch away from the back of the speedometer. While keeping pressure on the shield I then retightened the top clamps. Made quite a bit of difference.
Also found out that if the shield is mounted high on the forks, you get alot of wind through the headlight opening. I set the shield low on the forks with much better results.

There is quite a bit of wind coming from underneath the tank and that's where Jack's vest comes through.

But all in all I'm still searching for the right shield.
If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.
Thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

So the Touring shield is no good either[:@]

I have both the compact and the standard. I'm going to strip the bracket and mounts off the standard and put them back on the compact. I think the buffetting is worst on the Standard.

I read a another thread that someone added some stand-offs to the bottom mounts to change the rake and was happy with the results. Maybe I can loosen things up and push the top in and pull the bottom out a bit and find happiness.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard of people adding a tank lift (front of tank up a couple inches) to redirect air under the tank over the heads instead of over the tank into your chest.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,.... this is a tough decision. I also have been thinking of getting a windshield but dont want to spend $350+ on something that wont help or may even be worse than riding without a windshield. I am starting to think that the riders height will be a big factor in the amount of buffetting that you will get. Which might explain why some say they get very little buffetting and some say it unbearable. Im 6ft2in and I am courious if any of the taller riders have found a good windshield without alot of buffetting.

John

Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 PM
mybob
Novice

I'm with you...I wonder if height has something to do with buffeting also. I am 5'5" and I have the HD detachable tinted compact on my 06 Bob and have never had a problem. But could someone explain what buffeting is...maybe I'm missing something. I rode all last summer (freeway and local roads) with out one but came fall and winter I put one on. Sure makes a huge difference...I don't feel like I'm being blown off my bike.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

This is for all you guys that have a shield; Before you buy another shield,Take your left arm and put it across your chest at 60 mph, hand open, palm down. (a salute at chest level) and play with the wind coming up from below. If your arm makes you happy, the vest will do the same. Buffeting is the disturbed air that causes your head and/or helmetto jiggle or causes blurry vision that feels like your eyes and head are vibrating. Straight wind is just the blast that hits you head on at speed (no shield) I was taught that you should have the top of the shield about nose level and the shield should be parallel to the angle of the forks or a bit more if you can make that adjustment. A vertical shield is like pushing a piece of plywood down the road vertically, (not good) click on my website on the right border and watch the video (take note of the wind in the animation regarding windshield angle over the top)to see what is happening.I hope this helps some. ---cheers---jack

Quick Reply: Question on windshields