Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on windshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:29 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on windshields

I took the bob out for first highway ride with the new touring windshield on it. I still get a little buffeting, but nothing like it did with the compact windshield. I have it at the top of the forks so I look through windshield with about 1-2" above line of sight, I like it a lot better, ran through some rain the other day and after get up to 50, it seems that the the water flows off the top part of windshield pretty well, I treated it with the Harleywater repellant treatment.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Jim.

Could you post a pic of your shield on the bike?

Thanks..

ORIGINAL: TampaJim

I got a compact quick-release when I first got my Superglide. Buffeted like crazy. Replaced with a standard height (using old hardware)-no improvement.
Then I cut 2 inches off the compact. This was the best but still buffets over 55.
Few weeks ago I got a Rifle (sport model). With the shield in it lowest position and raked back as far as it will go, I get no buffeting over the top, but quite a bit from underneath..
Since this one looks the best I'm gonna leave it on and just keep it under 60.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:42 PM
madmech
Cruiser

I have a Windvest on the wg that never comes off.Tool bag under the headlight helps cut the wind underneath.16" apes,very mild buffeting even at 75-80mph.Many 400 mile days with this combo.Add a Jacks Flaps Aerovest and you got it knocked.http://www.jacksflaps.com/info.html
http://www.coolwindshields.com/

[IMG]local://upfiles/2743/A8059FF779804412AD7C920B31ADB8F0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at my picture below. Aero Vest, 21" windshield, Memphis shades. Works great! I look through the top 1 inch of plexiglas. No complaints.....BIG difference, in that your lower back won't tire so easily on the road at sustained speeds, alot quieter, almost don't need earplugs anymore. YES, the Aero Vest works!!!

Joe

Old 12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Stanger
Road Master

I have the same as Traveler, and must say it works great!Same coments also, big difference and not so tired like I was hanging from a building or hanging over backwards for hours after an hour of riding.

PS I have a Windvest that fit my 2006 Street Bob, if interested let me know.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Hardway
Intermediate

Don't know if Jacks Flaps vests have been suggested, but I use them and they work great. They cut the updraft that the lower sheilds normaly cut. I also have an 03 FXD with a full wind sheild. No buffeting here.
Chuck

Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Aero Vest and Jack's flaps are the same! that's whatI have, and I swear by them!

Joe

Old 12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the quick release detatchable HD super sport wind shield on my Street Bob and I love it. Buffetting is not bad at all.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:07 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really appreciate the info on the shields. When I first got my 06 FXDI, I considered a windshield but I did not like the look of the HD or Memphis shades. They were just not what I wanted in the looks department. The remembrance of a handlebar mounted windshield similar to those on an old bike of mine causing me to have a tank slapper incidence at 70 mph caused me to remove that windshield and I've never tried another.

The Windvest shield showed promise and is a good looking unit and that may be the unit I eventually buy. The shield I really want is in the attachment, but I haven't located that one yet.

I just want something to block the wind blast on my chest to make those long rides less tiring. Also, during the summer a shield would help with the bugs rain, and the air conditioning condensate that always feels like someone is spitting.

These are a love/hate item. Hopefully, others will offer their insights and experiences. Enjoy the post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15520/BFF071063A0F44D4A7EC1E8F1A426230.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The first thing you need to find out is, Where is the wind coming from that is causing the buffeting? If it is burbling over the top, try putting a bit more angle on the shield, vertical is bad, angling it back helps to create an aerodynamic flow over the top and up and over your head. However if the wind is coming up from below the shield and around the tankand then up the front of your body, you will probably need either fork deflectors or an AeroVest to stop the buffeting. You can tell the difference by taking your left arm and putting it across you chest, hand open palm down, like a salute only atchest level at 60 mph. Play with your hand salute a bit before buying another shield only to find you still have the problem. I still had the problem after buying the second shield and it caused me to invent the Aerovest. Having a wide glide, I didn't like the look of the fork deflectors so coming up with a different solution was my only out, other than a full fairing. The arm-across-the-chest thing has made believers of many and it's free, try it--jack Oh, and thanks for the plugs from the guys with my vests

Quick Reply: Question on windshields