Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on windshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:34 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Question on windshields

on my 03 dyna,, I rode w/o a shield,, was nice,,
then I bought the HD sport detach.. sheild,, ahhhh much better!
recently boughta Ultra,,,, NOW were talkin!!

I throw the windshield on the dyna on cold or buggy rides, I have no complaints

Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 PM
spark1707
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. I notice that the HD compact windshield is just about vertical and you can only adjust the height andI have the height properly adjusted.
I still have my old bike, Vulcanclassic, and the windhield on that bike has a much sharper angle than the HD. That's probably why I don't get any wind even at 70 mph. The buffeting I get on the HDis bad enough to cause my eyes to tear.
I'm going to try the touring winshieldsince I already have the docking kit.
I also like the idea of extending the bottom mounts to create a sharper angle.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

I had a HD windshield installed by the dealer. Rode it one summer and hated that POS windshield. This past spring (2006) I bought a National Cycle windshield that can be attached or detached in 5 seconds. No pins, no pulleys, nothing of the sort. It has a key lock as well. I am 6' 6" and sit pretty high on my DWG (see picture below) and the wind blows over my head using their "2-up" model. The old HD windshield shown in the picture below was donated to the local land fill. The National Cycle "2-up" model I use does not wobble at high speeds like that POS HD model did.

Ole Geezer

Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think alot of it also has to do with how tall you are...(i'm 6 ft)

KPMurphy is on to something...I saw some earlier posts on the issue of buffeting and it seems if you rake it a bit back, it helps alot. Someone had a pretty detailed writeup on how to easily fabricate it, but essentially some stock drilled out to extend the bottomis all you need...I just sent out for the QD Standard Ht windshield from HD....( it arrives tomorrow!!!!)...gonna take a crack at it next wk after XMas...I gotta extend this riding season somehow..

Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 AM
haksaw
Road Master

do you have the lowers as well on the national cycle 2-up shield?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:18 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone mentioned the windvest above,that's what I run and have made several long distance runs in the last few months with no problem. It is adjustable and it took a little while to get it right.

The height is set to where I can easy see over the top. The angle is to where the top is adjusted out about an inch from where it would be if the shield followed the line of the forks.

It seems to me that most buffeting is caused from wind from below coming up and around the tank. That's why the aerovests help from what I've heard. I dont have one.

A tank lift helps, seems to direct a lot of air down instead of up into your face.A small bag at the base of the shield on the inside seems to help,blocks some ot the air coming from below.Reversing the mirrors to below the bars helps,forces air away from your lower arms and the sides of your upper body.

I guess it's a combination of small things but I'm real pleased with my set up,never take it off.I can run for hours at speeds up to ninety or ninety five if I'm in a hurry and still be very comfortable.No way I could do that without the shield.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the smallest HD windshield they offered (low profile compact quick detach.). I was looking for a something to keep me from parachuting off the bike. 6' tall, shoulders wide enough to not feel comfortable in anything smaller than a 3x t shirt. When I bought the windshield I anticipated a certain amount of buffeting. Found a stretch of road the other day that was straight, with no traffic, and started playing find the source of the air flow with an ungloved hand. I was surprised at the amount of air coming up from below the windshield. I'm waiting until after Santa comes, and then will start looking for a bag to plug that hole. Otherwise, I am happy with what I have. Smallest I could find, and easy on off with no leave behind hardware.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20191/C81D4DE7B3D24EBF95A29C996FD191EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought the quick detachable standard height. Today
"if you can believe the weather" I got it up to 85 on the
highway. I got to say I like mine. Just a little buffeting, but
better than in the face. I guess it's a hit and miss thing.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: haksaw

do you have the lowers as well on the national cycle 2-up shield?
If you mean the leg deflectors, noI do not have those.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:35 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I got a compact quick-release when I first got my Superglide. Buffeted like crazy. Replaced with a standard height (using old hardware)-no improvement.
Then I cut 2 inches off the compact. This was the best but still buffets over 55.
Few weeks ago I got a Rifle (sport model). With the shield in it lowest position and raked back as far as it will go, I get no buffeting over the top, but quite a bit from underneath..
Since this one looks the best I'm gonna leave it on and just keep it under 60.

Quick Reply: Question on windshields