Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ape hangers on 11 wide glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 AM
pyrofxdwg
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ape hangers on 11 wide glide?

thinking about puting some apes on the wide glide but I have never rode with hangers before. Could you travel state to state with em? and how high would yall recomend?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can ride anywhere on anything with ape hangers.

I have a friend who rides a 2002 Wide Glide with 16" apes and can ride all day no problems. I think the most I would go would be 14" or 16", but I'm a short fella. I'm sure a guy 6'+ could ride with 18" or 20" no problems.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key is setting the apes to the right height for you. Too high and you won't wanna ride the long distances. 16" apes seem to be the common size. I run 16" apes on the shortest risers I could find. Gives the tall look, but keeps the bars at a comfortable height.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
secondlook
Advanced

I had bought my bike and came with 14" bars on the stock 4"+ risers. I'm 6' 5" and long hauls it was just to much...just replaced the risers with the shortest ones I could find and now I could ride any distance with the new seat and once the air ride comes in its all over.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We can't recommend what height you would be comfortable using on your bike.

Get a friend to help you.

Sit on your bike.

Close your eyes.

Throw your arms out and allow them to settle where they are comfortable.

Have friend measure distance from top tree to fist.

Repeat 1-2x.

That measurement (bars+risers) is what you'd be most comfortable riding with.

yes you can ride state to state with apes but some states have height limits. It's usually ~15" from the top of the seat but check the states you're riding through.

South Carolina had that height maximum and I rode with apes for almost 4yrs without one issue, even when I got pulled over for speeding once did the LEO ever make a comment about them.

NJ has similar height maximums. Unless you're doing something really stupid, I doubt the LEOs will worry about you too much.

As far as comfort, I also ride with 16's on top of 1.5" tall risers (17.5" total rise). as said, I can ride all day long and find it easier to handle my bike through the twisties using apes.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 02-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM
pyrofxdwg
5th Gear

thanks everybody for the information!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Rode mine from Missouri to SD, Montana, Wy, Co, then back home to MO. On the way home rode 850 miles stopping for gas only, would have went farther but hail and sever thunderstorms stopped me for the night. Yeah you can ride ape a long way regardless of what the naysayers tell you, your arms do not fall asleep, get tired or induce poor circulation of blood, it's all BS.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 5'8" and have 12" bars with 3.5" risers and my hands fall just below my shoulders when I'm sitting up straight. Haven't had any problems going long distances. In terms of having issues with the law, I think when they see my 12" bars, if they're not riders themselves, they tend not to notice the risers (at least that's my theory

Last edited by Sethcat; 02-26-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:41 PM
chinnox
2nd Gear

I recently installed 14" Burly Gorilla apes w/2" risers on my 2014 FXDWG, Im 5'11' and I feel is the ideal size. the ride is totally different and way more comfortable than the stock drag bars. Bad ***!!! totally satisfied

Old 12-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd guess nearly 3 years later the OP wouldn't be looking for any opinions anymore.. just a thought.

Welcome to the forum anyway chinnox, why don't you head over to the newbie section and introduce yourself?

Quick Reply: ape hangers on 11 wide glide?