Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD sissybar messenger bag vs HD backpack... comments?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD sissybar messenger bag vs HD backpack... comments?

been looking at a bag or something to go to work and such, carry my books and all... have sissy bar but dont have luggage rack, figure it could ride on seat instead... kinda like the leather messenger bag, has anyone seen it? does it come with a carrying handle or strap?... any comments on the backpack bags that strap to the sissy bar?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 PM
n0code
Tourer

On the cheap, once I used a back pack with straps for a skate board and attached it to a sissy bar, it did an ok job.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the HD backpack and really like it. Can't put a wider size laptop in the padded pocket but outside of it works just as well since the back is padded too. Has a nice, large velcro band for securing to the sissybar.

It's a nice, heavy duty piece that also allows the shoulder straps to release from the bottom and tuck into a dedicated pocket.

The other think I really like is it stands up by itself when set on the floor. I highly recommend it. Only think I don't like is the "pleather" on the "front" of it. Not a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
guentherb88
Intermediate

I used to bungee cord backpacks, jackets, and cases of beer to my sissy bar.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser

ive done the bungee cord thing.. it is... effective...beats wearing the damn when your riding, for sure....

Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

there are various styles of tail bags that easily attach, they're not as convenient to carry around but they do usually include a shoulder strap. I use the saddlemen drifter tail bag and I really like it, its so convenient I practically never take it off. The mc backpacks also work well, when worn the bottom rests on the passenger seat and you hardly know its even there. I packed a lot of **** home from the mc shops with mine lol its in storage right now and cant remember the brand name

Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 AM
MuddBugg
Cruiser

i looked at a bunch of stuff online, and my brand new jpcycles catalog ( luv that book! ), and have cinsidered the trunk like bags, they seem pretty handy, some look like they pretty damn big, too much really... the saddleman drifter bag is a "maybe" for me... just doesnt seem like it would be fun to carry around for very long...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 AM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the HD premium touring backpack last summer (its the bigger pack without the pleather panel on front) as a in between till I can get the saddle bags I want. Its been great to have and is larger than your average school backpack, which I have a cheapo one of those too I bungee to my sissy bar and HD pack cause it has all my text books for college in it. My HD pack has the shoulder straps unhooked and tucked into the back pocket and the velcro strap across the middle secure it around the sissy bar and the two buckle straps on either side of the bottom back hook into the holes of my sissy bar so the pack is pretty secure on the bike. I carry cold weather gear (winter gloves, a couple of masks, beanie, some hand warmers, spare glasses, tire repair kit, basic tool and flashlight in it and it came with a reflective rain cover as well. I plan on getting saddlebags to carry all of that mess when I can but I will probably still use the HD pack for overnight or several day long trips as you can stuff quite a bit into it and still carry it a good ways comfortably.

Last edited by xantasm; 02-24-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 AM
MuddBugg
Cruiser

i will be truckin to the HD store to check out the hd backpacks this morning, tho ill be in the truck as its looking mighty gloomy outside and my dog wants to go for ride....

Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a laptop backpack that I just bungee to the sissybar on the seat. Works at 85 mph. The problem with the HD ones or any bike specific bag is that they overcharge you for what they are. $149 do a backpack because it has a sissybar mounting flap? I was thinking of looking at a skateboard bag. Same principle but leas than half the price. Should be pretty easy to find a black one too.

Quick Reply: HD sissybar messenger bag vs HD backpack... comments?