Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorter Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shorter Rear shocks

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some 11" rear shocks to slam the back end of my FXD. Any brands to avoid? I am looking around on ebay, I like the Burly's but am concerned about the 10.5" and clearance. The progressives seem a bit pricey. There are an assortment of others that I have never heard of ie. CCI/Ultima, FAR Lowering and Bobber Pros. Anyone have experience with these?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think that the progressives are pricey, then maybe you shouldn't be thinking about lowering. The cheapest kit is the Burly, but it is also the stiffest ride going other than a hardtail. The progressives are the next in line. Rude quality will only get better as the price goes up. $350-400 is not a lot to drop on a set of shocks that will save your spine. Another option is a set of lowering blocks. This will allow you to lower it and see how you like it before you spend money on some good shocks. If your bike is 05 or earlier, I have a set of 1.75" ones that I can sell you for cheap.

Last edited by JohnC FXDX; 02-17-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser

While I appreciate the advice, it didn't really answer my question.....I do think that they are pricey, being that I have 8 children I have to pick and choose my mods and what they cost me. $400 for a set of shocks is not a luxory that I have unfortunately. If money wasn't an option, I wouldn't seek the advice.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

A lot of people install the Burley kit and enjoy it. It is made by Progressive so at least its not a junk setup. I would not go lower than the 11 inch Progressive 412's, but thats just me. The stuff to avoid is the ebay NO NAME shocks. They suck. Not like, they are just cheap Chinese garbage, but they suck so bad that actual function is a word that has no place in their description. You can get 11 inch Progressive 412's for a little over 200 bucks on ebay. Just make sure they are being advertised as actual Progressives with a Progressive part number, not a cheap knockoff. They come in black and chrome and if you want to spend a few extra bucks, they come with chrome covers. Again, people seem to like the 10.5 Burley's, I am just saying for me, thats just too low. Also, if your weigh over 225, or ride two up a lot, get the heavy duty version. If you decide to spend big bucks, your options really change fast, but if your at or around $200, I recommend the 412's.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, and I want to apologize to the first response. As ironic as it is, I had just gotten off of the phone with my ex-wife, who was asking for more money.......she refuses to work and seems to think the $4000/month I send her is not enough LOL. I just kind of snapped and it was not cool, so Sorry.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master

No problem. I pm'd you back. I was short as well. Some guys like the 412's some will admit that they ride like crap compared to stock. I think the guys who say they don't just don't want to admit it since they spent the money on them. When you jump up to the other models, the ride is better. I'm not sure how they go in order, but they have the 418, 430, 440 and 970. The 970 is definitely top of the line and more of a sport shock, not lowering. A little info on you, your bike and how you rise will help too. Are you a bigger guy, do you ride 2-up and what length shocks do you have now and what year bike?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser

I am a bigger guy @ 240. I ride 2 up some, but mostly with one of the kids, so they don't add a lot of weight. My wife rides ocassionaly, but not enough to influence a purchase. I have a 2001 FXD with stock 12" shocks on it. I am not an overly agressive rider, and having recently moved down here to FL from TN, the roads here are very flat and straight, so not a lot to be agressive on.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want to slam the rear end for less $$$. Just get some lowering blocks, under a hundred bucks...

Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser

I have thought about that, what are the disadvantages to that if any?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
If you want to slam the rear end for less $$$. Just get some lowering blocks, under a hundred bucks...
That's what I said. I have a set that I would ship to him for $45, but they are 1-3/4". Might be too much. They didn't lower my back that much. More like 1-1/4"+. My fxdx measures around 13.6" eye to eye parked on the stand. With the blocks it was a little less than 12.5" when I measured to the original hole on the swingarm. They are Tamarack black anodized with polished bolts. The black blends into the swingarm nicely. For $45, if they don't work, it will give you an idea on the height you want to be at and you can probably sell them for the same money. If they work, then all is good.

Quick Reply: Shorter Rear shocks