Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorter Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
blkdimon8
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a set of V-Twin 10.5's back in 08 and had no problem. They are on my sig bike.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Iskra
Tourer

I was thinking about lowering the shocks but I'm 215lbs and I ride 2up a lot. I was also wondering If you would be able to separate the stock HD shocks and cut 1" off the coil and reassemble? Any thoughts on that?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am SERIOUSLY considering the lowering blocks...as the price is definately right. I just don't know a lot about them. It seems as though they would change the shock angle of the stock shocks. This may not be an issue at all......just don't know. Anyone got any thoughts?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grugrux34
I have thought about that, what are the disadvantages to that if any?
A shorter shock has less travel. Lowering the longer shock does not eliminate all of the travel. It changes it a little due to the geometry change though. I bottomed out a couple of times 2 up. Once was because i forgot to change the preload when I first lowered it. I left it on 3 instead of moving it to 5. 3 is the setting for solo average size guy. I'm 275lbs. And my rider was North of 150 plus had some gear. I shredded the taillight wires. Once I set it to 5, I only bottomed out once. It was loaded the same and hitting a bad bump in a turn. The left shock was loaded on the turn. I rerouted my wires to the side of the tire instead of over the top also. Never had problems with them again. The reason I took the blocks off is because I am embracing the handling of the FXDX more now. I also ride a lot more 2 up with gear. The wide and I do some longer trips and form lost out to function. It doesn't look as good, but I can tear up the mountain roads better.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grugrux34
I am SERIOUSLY considering the lowering blocks...as the price is definately right. I just don't know a lot about them. It seems as though they would change the shock angle of the stock shocks. This may not be an issue at all......just don't know. Anyone got any thoughts?
not anything bad. Just the possibility of bottoming out easier when loaded. If you like the ride of your stick shocks, that will remain, you just need to keep the preload on the max setting or one down when you ride solo. Check out Tamarack machine works. That is where I got mine from. There are specs listed for the different models and some faq's.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Grugrux34
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Payment sent....thanks all for your help. I will post some pics when I get them mounted up.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Here's what a set of lowering blocks looks like mounted up. Mine were just the 1" Tamarack blocks, but the principle is the same. They do lower the bike but as mentioned, you need to remember to add some preload to the springs to avoid bottoming out. I eventually had to switch to shorter shocks because the result of moving the bottom of the shock rear wards meant that in order to run saddlebags I had to either mover them way back or mount then away from the fender to clear the shocks. If you have throw overs, its a non issue as you can just bend out the brackets a bit, but if you have hard mounted bags, the blocks might be a bit of an issue.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
nichiowa
Tourer

I bought a set of used FXDB 10.5 eye to eye shocks for $90 and they are perfect.

Just like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...item2a155c8980

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
art0565
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
No problem. I pm'd you back. I was short as well. Some guys like the 412's some will admit that they ride like crap compared to stock. I think the guys who say they don't just don't want to admit it since they spent the money on them. When you jump up to the other models, the ride is better. I'm not sure how they go in order, but they have the 418, 430, 440 and 970. The 970 is definitely top of the line and more of a sport shock, not lowering. A little info on you, your bike and how you rise will help too. Are you a bigger guy, do you ride 2-up and what length shocks do you have now and what year bike?
I put Progressive 11" 412 i love the ride, it's bit stiffer than stock but look nothing tragic, i've tried lowering block and they didn't work for me, set of 412-$200. money well spent

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

13 inch shocks with 1 3/4 lowering blocks
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Shorter Rear shocks