Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue after tank emblem removal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up Issue after tank emblem removal!!!

To make this as short as possible, I removed one of the tank emblems from my 2010 Street Bob last night. I used a heat gun and the emblem came right off but left the double-sided tape on there. No real biggie, I went to work with the Goo-Gone and got all the tape off and everything is now smooth, no scratches, etc.

However, after I gave that side of the tank as shot of windex and wipedown and I took a closer look as I was lining up my new tank emblem, I could see the outline of the stock emblem still.

This is the stock black denim paint. It almost seems as if the stock paint under where the emblem tape was is fresh, while the rest of the tank is "duller" looking. Kind of like if a white person puts something on their skin while sun tanning and then pulls it off and the skin would look lighter underneath while the rest of the tanned skin looks darker. HAHA, couldn't think of anything better as an example.

Anyway, has anyone ran into this issue??? Again, my bike is 2010 and Black Denim and I have never removed the emblems until now. Is it just that the rest of paint has faded over time and I have now exposed the "covered up" paint?

My new emblem will cover most of it except for the top of the H and the bottom of the D on the stock Street Bob emblem.

Let me know what you all think about this.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited by jmeiers; 02-15-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

It almost seems as if the stock paint under where the emblem tape was is fresh, while the rest of the tank is "duller" looking
the paint faded, except for under the emblem

Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
dtone72rss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use some turtle wax, it will go away

Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Lucero1
Road Master

I wouldnt use turtle wax on denim paint. Maybe try the black denim cleaner stuff at the HD store....but it sounds like its faded, so unless you make the tank glossy, you're probably gonna have to live with it.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

If it is truely duller out side the emblem area, as stated above, you can try to blend with some wax. If nothing like that blends properly, there is always getting a spray can of denim clear from the dealer (about $20) and respray the area (after cleaning and removing the wax of course) to blend it in. The Denim sprays very easy and is difficult to do a poor job.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM
mrodff
Tourer

Do not put wax on it!!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
art0565
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrodff
Do not put wax on it!!!!
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

yes, a denim clear coat should solve it.

here is a link for the right one
http://www.colorrite.com/product/aer...t-kit-1008.cfm

Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The paint is made to wear and fade like jeans..So if the area is covered it has never been exposed to the sun. I did the same thing to my 2010 SB. Since the weather is getting nicer even if I am not riding I will take the bike out and let it sit in the sun in the drive way. This is the only thing that will work the paint under the emblem needs to fade... DO NOT use wax you will gloss the paint. The HD denim cleaner is just going to make it shine I use that on my bike to wipe it down after sitting in the garage. Just be patient and let it sit out in the sun..

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just ride it. Given some miles, it'll fade out.

Quick Reply: Issue after tank emblem removal!!!