Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FL Dyna got parts now questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default FL Dyna got parts now questions

Hi All, i have been inspired by many who have done the FL Dyna bikes, i am about to start my project in the spring and have gathered the parts, and of course have many questions,i bought a road king fender era 2002, other than filling all holes and drilling new ones what else do i need to do to make it fit , other question, my friend gave me fatboy tins and trees, and tubes, i believe i need to grind off the fork stops, is there anything else i need to consider when installing these, i will be using a 21inch wideglide wheel and fender for a custom look, i have attached a pic of a similar setup. Many questions but a big project for my skills. any and all input appreciated. Lastly, how will the bike handle with this setup, my bike is an 02 FXD with stock rake at 28 degrees.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails FL Dyna got parts now questions-08waybackbob11.jpg   FL Dyna got parts now questions-img_0926.jpg   FL Dyna got parts now questions-img_0927.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

To get the front end to go onto the Dyna frame you basically need to get the lower fatboy fork clamp(tree) to fit to the bottom of the neck. When you pull off the stock front end and hold the fatboy lower up to it you will see what needs to be removed to get it to fit. I took small steps, better to remove too little and go back to remove more than to remove too much. Mine is an 07 so I'm not sure what your dfferences will be. I think some others had to put some spacers under the lower neck bearing. On the subject of bearings I installed new neck bearings as long as I had it apart. A race remover/installer was something like $30 on ebay.

Ackman and Surfor have threads detailing their builds and pictures of the modifications to the clamps. They where a great source of info when I did mine.

For the front wheel I found it easier to just get a wheel from a heritage. That way I didn't need to worry about custom axle and rotor spacers to get everything to line up. I wanted to use my stock Lowrider wheels but the hubs are different size from the FL softails. I'm still pondering ways to get it to work...

Can't help with the rear fender. I took the easy way out on that one.

Last edited by 02fx4dude; 02-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In '06 when the MoCo went to 49mm fork tubes on the Dynas, they changed the frame as alluded to in the comment above ... it involves a little additional work getting the top-to-bottom height of the stem/neck worked out ...

Your '02 should not have that problem ... the earlier frames the triple trees are an exact fit ... the two areas you have to be concerned about are clearance of the headlight mounting block on the Fat Boy lower triple tree (the inner face of the lower tree interferes with the stock fork stop block on the front of the FXD frame ... two ways around that (i) grind the stop off the front of the frame or (ii) relieve the material on the triple tree ....

The second issue is the stops on the Fat Boy lower triple tree protrude too far ... material will have to be relieved on both sides to give you back a decent turn radius ... since you are using FXST triple trees currently, I presume you must have encountered and addressed these issues with your current setup ... ? If not ... there you have them ...

I believe the Fat Boy (Heritage / Deluxe ... FLSTF/FLSTC/FLSTN) triple trees yield the same width as the FXDWG Wide Glide ... therefore the hub (wheel) from a Wide Glide would work (as would the fender from a pre-'06) to give something of the look from your first photo ....

That is a pretty cool look ... however, most of the guys who've made the conversion have done it to be able to run the 16" balloon tire .... I suppose to each his own ...

If you haven't seen the threads, several of us have posted links on 'how-to' ... there is an excellent tutorial I used here ... http://www.kenandjudy.us/MyHarley.htm

The only other thing I, personally, would note is that I found the Fat Boy (FLST_) front end to be too soft ... I replaced the springs with Race Tech RT FRK SPR 31.7x340mm .95kg FRSP S3234095 and the gold valve cartridge emulators ... really improved it a lot ...

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 02-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

THX for the tips guys, really good info, yes i am familiar with trimming the fork stops as i did that to the fxst front end on there now, as for the 21inch wheel i like the look, maybe some day will do the 16 inch wheel,looking to do this in the spring.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Heres a pick of a Fatboy front end with aftermarket FL style tins on a Dyna. This guy had my local shop, Pure Evil do the install. Its a 19 with slim fender, not a 21 but its similar to what your doing. I installed an FLH rear fender on my bike as well. I didn't even fill in the old holes, just drilled new ones. I hope you post up progress pics as you go. The previous posters know more about installing the Wide Glide Trees than I do but I am watching closely as I am strongly considering selling my Springer and attempting the same conversion as you, only with a 16 and full fender up front.

Here's my setup:

Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Until I saw the picture I couldn't imagine the 21 on that fork set, I like it. Looking forward to seeing it together.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Honestly, I would go find an insurance wreck Dyna and start on that bike. That one you have now is way too cool to change. I'm not kidding!