Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012 | 01:43 PM
maddghost
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default fuel help

Hi allz!
Ok well last summer i was just heading out on a 350 mile trip to the inlaws cottage, bike all packed with gear for a week , anyway, I get about three blocks from home and and the engine dies on me, fkuc right? Well i call a buddy and we start taking things apart chack plugs check my pcV , the tak is full oils all good - boom stumped by the side of the road GREAT! Out of desperation i call my local HDealer and the service manager had to ask one of the teks what could be causing this, so he told me to disconnect the fuel line quick connect from the bottom of the tank, sure enough some gas comes out and it even feels a little grainy, so I reconnect and she fires right up. I go all the way to the cottage,ok, but since then and with increasing frequency I am forced to pull over (sometimes on the highway, one never knows) disconnect she fires right back up and I'm on my merry way.
It's winter here and waayy to cold to ride so my question to you- do you think it could be the fuel filter? I have35k miles on it now. Or is there another part that can be causing this?

Old 02-13-2012 | 03:04 PM
maddghost
|
Ultimate HDF Member

does anyone know what the most common cause for this problem is?

Old 02-13-2012 | 03:13 PM
bigdady
Tourer

what year is the bike? and stupid question. any idea what the fuel level was each time this happened

Old 02-13-2012 | 03:18 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master

It is most likely a clogged fuel filter or a kinked vent tube. I am not sure off the top of my head but I think the filter in the tank should be changed with that kind of mileage. While doing the maintenace check the pickup tube as well as I do remember reading about people having issues where the pickup tube sprung a leak and if the fuel level is low enough you can either hear or see the fuel spraying around inside the tank.

Old 02-13-2012 | 03:18 PM
maddghost
|
Ultimate HDF Member

It's an '08 and that's not a stupid question, but the first time i felt something weird, I thought I was about to run out of gas. I was damn near empty that time and had to add 19.2 litres, lucky the gas station was uphill from where I was!! But it has happened since then a few times but it could happen anytime 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 I never know.

Old 02-13-2012 | 03:32 PM
paulies 07
Road Captain

Pard, since you asked this is what I would do. You said the fuel felt "grainy" so.........Pull the tank, dump the gas and clean the tank. Next blow out or replace your fuel lines, if carbed
check the fuel bowl for crap, if FI you don't have a fuel bowl, with 35K replace the fuel filter for sure. fill up with fresh rocket fuel, add a little Marvel Mystery Oil, or Seafoam and hopefully off you go. Good Luck

Old 02-13-2012 | 07:23 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

+1 with paulies thoughts and I'd go one more step. If you have been using the same fuel/gas brand I'd changed to a better named brand and make sure you're not getting E85 if they use that in Canada.

Old 02-13-2012 | 11:36 PM
maddghost
|
Ultimate HDF Member

I never use less than the 91, usually at higher end stations such as shell , esso or ultramar, but I ride back roads alot and can't always find a good station out in the middle of it.I am most surely going to change out the filter this week-end and have a look in the tank while it's open, aassuming I can see in there once the filter and fuel pump assy is out in the open. I did read another thread and there is a good how to out there that I came accross I shall post a link to it if I can find it again! Thanks for confirming my doubt on the ole filter guys.
Oh and paulie there really only was one time where I actually felt a grain of sandy siht and it was the first time I had to pop out the fuel line from under the tank, so there is the possibility that sand may have been resting under the quick connect. somehow.

Old 02-13-2012 | 11:57 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

if it was a clogged filter I wouldn't think disconnecting the fuel line and putting it back on would make any difference. Id confirm your tank is venting properly. If you haven't tried it yet next time try venting the tank thru the cap and see if that does anything.

I wouldnt have that problem because I never go to my inlaws... get a gremlin bell! Lol

Good Luck

Old 02-14-2012 | 04:40 AM
maddghost
|
Ultimate HDF Member

i did try that ynots .... nada

Quick Reply: fuel help