Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012 | 05:49 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

sounds like crap in your fuel tank ,
take it off clean it out , and change or clean the fuel line ,
its a cheap fix

Old 02-14-2012 | 06:40 AM
xantasm
Supporter

Maddghosts, by chance do you live near a beach or a very sandy area? This can include areas that are heavily sanded during the winter due to snow. Friggin sand gets everywhere and into everything lol. Next time your pulling your filter off, get a paper towel or light colored rag and blow the filter out in reverse so the fuel is coming out of the inlet port that gets fed from the tank.

I ask because I've lived in a couple of places like that and always get friends with older cars or bikes that are carb'd wondering why their fuel system gets clogged up about every year or so. I have lived in the desert for some years now and eventually sand gets built up in the fuel system no matter what I do to prevent it because it gets into the fuel even before I get it at the gas station. Sand has a magical way of getting past even the best of filters.

Also if there is any metal fatigue in the fuel lines or tank the metal can corrode and create the same problem by depositing small corrosion particles that will clog a filter pretty quick. I had a YJ Wrangler that was carb'd and the down tube of the fuel pickup assembly inside the tank had rusted something terrible even though it looked good on the outside and I must pulled the whole damn system apart like 5 times before I noticed there was red flaky **** coming out of it. My fuel filter would get clogged so bad it would make my Jeep chug and buck and just die after like 30 miles. I went through like 5 filters before I managed to trouble shoot where the rust was coming from.

PITA to troubleshoot but if your finding the same issue repeatedly after changing the filter your most likely dealing with one of the two issues I mentioned. You might try picking up a generic inline glass see through filter kit from an autoparts store and splicing it into your fuel lines going from the tank to the carb for a while as it will show you a lot better what is building up in the fuel system that is causing your problems. Sounds like you got fuel, spark, and a working motor so fuel contaminants sounds like the best bet to me.

Old 02-14-2012 | 10:38 AM
paulies 07
Road Captain

Pard, Sure it's possible to get sand and dirt under the tank, pop off the gas cap and look inside the tank and see what's in the bottom, some of these rural gas stations do not change out the filters in there pumps, they just remove them. I would for sure change the fuel filter, I change out mine every 18 months, I know that's overkill but I have been stranded once, never again, as you know it sucks. Also I add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to every tank of gas, and about every 3 months I put in a little Seafoam to really clean the fuel system. Anything I can do to help let me know. Good luck hope you get her going.

Old 02-15-2012 | 03:29 PM
maddghost
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey guys guess what? I spoke to a good tek at my local HDealer and (he's the guy who built my stage 2 103 , good and solid) Was told by everyone there that it is most likely the check valve in the quick connect. Apparently that part tends to wear and can loose it's seal without actually coming apart, and boom your bike just stops. I've ordered the parts and am gonna change that and the filter out, should do the trick.
Not much sand here and the bottom of the tank seems clean, so I'll give y'all some news when I get it. Thanks for all the help and consideration !!!
P.S if you guys think my H-dealer is way out in left field feel free to let me know!