Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear Need Education

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 PM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure on your area but I can ride with heated gloves and pants all year round in Virginia. I bought Harley-Davidson and they are made by Gerbings. The left hand glove malfunctioned and would no longer heat. We sent both right and left gloves back and they upgraded the wiring and they're like new gloves again. Lifetime warranty on the wires. 2 whole winters so far no problem, except the wait time for the fixed gloves.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60
Give a look to the Powerlet products.

Their liners are windproof and that is a huge advantage even under a good overcoat.

The Powerlet liners are also dual wattage with a higher output than any other brand. They incorporate a carbon fiber heating element that is a higher-tech design than the Gerbing microwire items.

Powerlet also has the wireless controller that they licensed (my understanding) also to First Gear.

I've had them all and I have done some long distance cold weather riding for many years. I tried but did not like both the older Gerbing products and the newer "microwire" stuff. Gerbing items produce too many hot spots for me. The Powerlet offers a more even heat.

Also, the windproofness of the Powerlet creates a better warmth than offered by the Gerbing. I don't know why everybody doesnt go to windproof fabrics. I expect that eventually you'll see more of it.

The only other windproof liner that I know is the Aerostich Kanetsu models. These are very very fine electric garments. I still have a wear one. They even have one with blow-up bladders so you can get them to fit close to you. The key to good electric performance is to have it closely fitting with some but not too much clothing between you and the electrics.

The only problem with the Kanetsu liners is that none of them have wire stub-outs on the sleeves for electric gloves. Aerostich does not offer electric gloves so their products are not designed for them ! To use gloves with an Aerostich, you have to run a cumbersome separate wiring harness to the gloves.

Gloves. I used to carry separate electric gloves. They are big and bulky. Nowadays, I just carry electric glove liners. When I need heated gloves, I fit the liners into my non-electric winter or summer gloves. Works like a charm.

Here again, the Powerlet is even more superior to the Gerbing. The Powerlet technology makes their glove liners much thinner than the Gerbing microwire, substantially thinner. The Powerlet liners look like they are made from Danskin type material but they work great.

By the way, all the Powerlet items utilize the same coaxial fittings as Gerbing. Many Gerbing wearers buy and use the Powerlet wireless controllers.

I bought my Powerlet items from lockitt.com in NC(?)
Powerlet is made by Warm and Safe who also make it for First Gear. However since they buy less than First Gear their prices are higher. And Warm and Safe used to make Gerbings products as well up until a few years ago when Gerbing decided to get the same manufacturer in china to make it for them as well. Now however they are opening up a plant here in the US in the upcoming months.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM
cycler
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bobby9621
So far I like the gerbing/hd items. As mentioned earlier how many items can our dynas support? Keep the advice coming!
I run my liner, gloves, socks and pants. I also ride a touring and a big dog bulldog but I dont think that makes a difference.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started with the Gerbing G3 gloves. As some one pointed out - you can layer up. But once it gets into the low 40's my regular gloves just wouldn't cut it - my hands would ache. So the gloves worked great but I didn't really like running the wires through my jacket(s). So about a month later I got the liner - the liner is prewired for the gloves and when I bought the controller for the gloves I planned ahead and I got the dual control model so I was good to go ... so I thought. Althought it all worked great (as far as the heat and comfort) I did not like the way the controller plugged in (1 input / 2 outputs) I ended up getting the "Warm & Safe" wireless dual controller and that works pretty slick.

So in the mornings when I'm on way to work and it's 35 degrees out - I'm sure people are thinking I'm freezing ... little do they know.

Jimmie

Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmieJack
I started with the Gerbing G3 gloves. As some one pointed out - you can layer up. But once it gets into the low 40's my regular gloves just wouldn't cut it - my hands would ache. So the gloves worked great but I didn't really like running the wires through my jacket(s). So about a month later I got the liner - the liner is prewired for the gloves and when I bought the controller for the gloves I planned ahead and I got the dual control model so I was good to go ... so I thought. Althought it all worked great (as far as the heat and comfort) I did not like the way the controller plugged in (1 input / 2 outputs) I ended up getting the "Warm & Safe" wireless dual controller and that works pretty slick.

So in the mornings when I'm on way to work and it's 35 degrees out - I'm sure people are thinking I'm freezing ... little do they know.

Jimmie

How is that working as far as pairing goes? I mean, when you first start out of if you have the controller attached to the bike and walk away - do you need to re pair it or will it reacquire it by itself?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had to pair it (tranmitter & receiver) when I first put the batteries in the controller. So far no problems.

Jimmie

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cycler
Powerlet is made by Warm and Safe who also make it for First Gear. However since they buy less than First Gear their prices are higher. And Warm and Safe used to make Gerbings products as well up until a few years ago when Gerbing decided to get the same manufacturer in china to make it for them as well. Now however they are opening up a plant here in the US in the upcoming months.
Compare the features of the Powerlet liners to all the others, including First Gear. I dunno who makes what for whom but these products are different.

I have worn them all.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Summicron
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gerbing

i like the gerbing gear.

jim

Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM
cycler
Road Master

Originally Posted by leafman60
Compare the features of the Powerlet liners to all the others, including First Gear. I dunno who makes what for whom but these products are different.

I have worn them all.

Powerlet asked warm n safe to manufacture their products for them. And powerlet is just using warm n safes new design which was warm n safe gen 4 products. First gear just has warm n safe relable their products for them also and used warm n safes gen 3 models. However now first gear will be using the gen 4 as well. I feel like Im talking about glocks lol. Bottom line in the end they are all good. Some people swear by gerbing, others swear by first gear/powerlet/warm n safe. If you want a wireless controller that is easier to operate you go with first gear/warm n safe. First gear will warranty stuff out more often because they are owned by tucker rocky and its easier for a dealer to work with a bigger company like tucker than deal direct with warm n safe even though warm n safe gives bigger margins if you go dealer direct. The pants liners and jacket liners are thinner and more comfortable on first gear than gerbing. The gerbin pant liners are bulky whereas the first gear liners are like a pair of long thermals and thin. First gear socks have a nice comfortable velcro piece that wraps around the calf so the sock doesnt ride down the way a gerbing sock does. And first gear offers a more protective glove and if you want a glove liner you cant even feel the wires in that liner

Last edited by cycler; 02-12-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

deleted

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-12-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Heated gear Need Education