Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/transmission side cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012 | 04:58 PM
Frigol
|
Advanced
Default Help w/transmission side cover

I want to swap my fld transmission side cover. I'm going with chrome. Any tips will be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2012 | 05:48 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer

be verry carefull when threading in your clutch cable to the new cover as the threads are verry soft. the first few threads on mine got stripped but lucky for me it doesnt leak

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:10 PM
cecharles
Tourer

I've taken that off my '01 FXD and I'm not sure if there's been any redesigning in there but the hardest part of that job will be to take the exhaust off. Once you do that, drain the transmission oil and loosen the clutch cable adjusters all the way and take the clutch cable of the lever. Remove the screws off the cover, pop it off and you'll have to disassemble the clutch cam assembly in the cover. Pretty easy job but you'll need some big snap ring pliers to remove the internal retaining ring. Be careful to remember the orientation of the snap ring opening for reassembly and there's three ***** in there that actuate the camming action to disengage the clutch. Take the end of the clutch cable off and then take the new chrome cover and start reassembling the whole thing back the way it was. I used my service manual to do mine to replace an old clutch cable and it really was very easy. I hope I helped and if you need them, I could e-mail you the instructions from my service manual.

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:43 PM
Frigol
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by cecharles
I've taken that off my '01 FXD and I'm not sure if there's been any redesigning in there but the hardest part of that job will be to take the exhaust off. Once you do that, drain the transmission oil and loosen the clutch cable adjusters all the way and take the clutch cable of the lever. Remove the screws off the cover, pop it off and you'll have to disassemble the clutch cam assembly in the cover. Pretty easy job but you'll need some big snap ring pliers to remove the internal retaining ring. Be careful to remember the orientation of the snap ring opening for reassembly and there's three ***** in there that actuate the camming action to disengage the clutch. Take the end of the clutch cable off and then take the new chrome cover and start reassembling the whole thing back the way it was. I used my service manual to do mine to replace an old clutch cable and it really was very easy. I hope I helped and if you need them, I could e-mail you the instructions from my service manual.
thanks for the info, if I need the instructions i'll let you know.

Old 10-31-2012 | 07:57 AM
Frigol
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by cecharles
Cecharles,

Could you please e-mail me the instructions from your service manual. I'll appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2012 | 10:10 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frigol
Cecharles,

Could you please e-mail me the instructions from your service manual. I'll appreciate it. Thanks.
Jayzus! Buy the friggin service manual!

Old 10-31-2012 | 11:12 AM
bl_dg
Tourer

Step 1 - buy service manual.

Unbolt cover.
Unhook cable from cam.
Hold cable with wrench, unscrew cover from cable.
Get a good set of snap ring pliers and -carefully- remove snap ring.
Swap parts into the new cover.
Re-assemble.

Its not too hard, but the snap ring can be a pain and you have to be careful threading the cover back onto the cable - easy to cross-thread.

Don't forget Step 1.

Old 10-31-2012 | 12:15 PM
Frigol
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by bl_dg
Step 1 - buy service manual.

Unbolt cover.
Unhook cable from cam.
Hold cable with wrench, unscrew cover from cable.
Get a good set of snap ring pliers and -carefully- remove snap ring.
Swap parts into the new cover.
Re-assemble.

Its not too hard, but the snap ring can be a pain and you have to be careful threading the cover back onto the cable - easy to cross-thread.

Don't forget Step 1.
Ok, I get it, buy service manual, but do I have to remove the exhaust?

Old 11-07-2012 | 03:11 PM
Frigol
|
Advanced

Me and my friend installed the cover. Thank you very much for the info. cecharles your info was very helpful.

Old 11-07-2012 | 03:13 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Yes, remove the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Help w/transmission side cover