Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would like some advise on heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I would like some advise on heads

I have an '06 superglide, TC88(stock) with high miles. I'm looking to buy a set of Heads (for cheap) off an '05 to get a top-end re-do/QC at some point down the road.

The heads I'm looking at are pn 16723-99(front), and 16725-99(rear)(casting no.s), low mile "take-offs" in storage for some time.

My heads are 17106-06(front, and 17112-06(rear).

My HD parts guy says the only difference should be the guides, and that's not a big deal to change being as the seals should be changed out anyway because they are probably dried out, so they would already be in there when the do the seals.

I've looked in my parts book, and all the other pn's of sub-conponents are -05's,-99B's, -86's, -83's,Ect. Nothing higher than an '05 other than the guides.

Am I on the right track here? Will these heads inter-change with little, or no work?

Thanks, in advance. Anything you guys could put into this is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes...Tim(HT)

Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They will, but you are going backwards on performance if you don't get the new heads ported. The '06 up heads flow better and have some improvements all around. For one, they have springs to handle up to .570 lift cams over the .510 of the '05 and earlier. They also have larger valves, thinner valve stems and shorter guides that don't interfere with flow. They also disepate heat better. I would keep your heads. High mileage isn't hurting them. You could get them cleaned up for less than buying the take offs. If you are planning on working the take offs with a port job and decking, then they will be fine.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,837 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
They will, but you are going backwards on performance if you don't get the new heads ported. The '06 up heads flow better and have some improvements all around. For one, they have springs to handle up to .570 lift cams over the .510 of the '05 and earlier. They also have larger valves, thinner valve stems and shorter guides that don't interfere with flow. They also disepate heat better. I would keep your heads. High mileage isn't hurting them. You could get them cleaned up for less than buying the take offs. If you are planning on working the take offs with a port job and decking, then they will be fine.
And don't forget bee hive springs. The 06 heads are a huge improvement over the -99 series, ( the ones I've got.)

Keep the 06's and just freshen them up!

Or you could sell them to me....

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I "pulled the trigger" on this deal yesterday, So, at some point in time, I'll be looking for someone to mod the heads for me.

Not looking to blow any doors off. Just "equal to-or greater than" preformance as the stock '06's. This bike is a daily driver that gets to go out and have some fun every once in a while, so I'm intrested in keeping dependability and durabilty.

Again, Thanks for your input.

Anybody know a good HD "head man" that isn't too exspesive for the joe six-pack?

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 02-10-2012, 01:25 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There are several good options that I've consistently seen endorsed on here ... depending on your geography you might want to find someone nearby ... but, most head porters have various jobs with corresponding price break points ...

In New York state there's Hillside, I think Bean at BigBoyz is in CA, Dewey's in the Pac NW ... pretty much anyone will take your heads shipped to them ... but, of course, the cost of shipping there and back just adds to your overall cost (since you mentioned you're budget conscious) ....

I'd take a look over at the forum for Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust ... maybe do a search in that forum and read through some of the threads ....

Are you looking at going to a 95" (or 96" 97" 98") big bore ...? Are you doing cams, too ...? If either of those are in the works, you'll want to consider decking the heads to increase compression ratio ... you'd want to consider whether to have manual (or automatic) compression releases ... if you deck the heads (or go with a thinner than stock head gasket) you'll probably need to look at either adjustable or SE perfect fit pushrods that will account for the shorter distance from lifter to rocker arm ... would you want to look at getting a bigger throttle body ...?

Hope these questions help you sort things out ... probably not ... there are a lot of variables to consider and it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish ...

Good luck and let us know what further questions you have ....

R/
'Chop

Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The '06 heads flow pretty good from the factory compares to the '05 and older. If I where yous I would not use the old style head. You will more than likely be loosing performance, especially in the higher rpm range which that '06 motor likes. The '06 models where geared lower than '07 and newer and they cruise at a higher rpm.