Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes and nothing else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

when i installed 2 into 1's on my 96", the mid range was noticeably better but during hard acceleration and anything over 70 mph in 5th the bike didn't run right. I wouldn't count on the stock ecu making the necessary adjustments for an exhaust and ac, chances are your engine is going to be running too lean (hot)

Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM
WYO-SDP
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for this post it helped me out a lot! Now its decision time on what pipes i wanna put on the 07 vivid black street bob. I eventually want to chang the air filter as well. Thanks for the post!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're rolling the dice on whether or not, not tuning it will yellow your new pipes. I would definitely tune it.

Originally Posted by stevieg
I am about to receive delivery of my new (to me) Harley. (my 4th)
It's an '07 Streetbob (my 2nd) and it comes with V&H Big Radius 2 in 2 pipes. That's the only thing that was done. No new A/C, no fuel mgmt, etc.
The bike is about to be shipped and in the meantime the seller made a video and it sounds great. Doesn't seem to pop or anything and apparently it runs fine.
On my 1st '07 SB I ran V&H Shortshots with a Power Commander and was happy.
On my last bike, the Heritage in my sigpic, I ended up running a Supertrapp Supermeg 2 in 1 with a Power Commander and loved it.
I plan on eventually getting a Power Commander but I'm wondering if running the Big Radius without any other changes will make the bike run too hot and lean? Will it hurt the engine?
If it runs well enough I might not change at all but want to make sure there are no future problems.
I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTEYou're rolling the dice on whether or not, not tuning it will yellow your new pipes. I would definitely tune it][/QUOTE]

Where are you getting that information? What is it based on? The EFI will adjust fine to an exhaust only mod. It will not run any hotter. The pipes will not turn yellow. (never heard of a pipe turning yellow) Hot pipes turn blue, thats why they have heat shields on them.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If this is what you are talking about, that is natural and perfectly normal for Stainless Steel that is heated, mine is certainly tuned properly.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rooti
[QUOTEYou're rolling the dice on whether or not, not tuning it will yellow your new pipes. I would definitely tune it]
Where are you getting that information? What is it based on? The EFI will adjust fine to an exhaust only mod. It will not run any hotter. The pipes will not turn yellow. (never heard of a pipe turning yellow) Hot pipes turn blue, thats why they have heat shields on them.[/quote]

Brand new proto-type slip on, no tune...muffler yellowed at the joint to the header and where the baffle ended inside the muffler.
Getting the info from personal experience. Pipes blue, yep, heat shields cover them.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He isn't talking about a slip on...it's vance and hines...no problems with those pipes changing colors. It's a used bike anyways and would have already showed up.

So I don't get how that's rolling the dice?

Did your personal experience also determine the bike will run hotter with a exhaust only mod?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rooti
He isn't talking about a slip on...it's vance and hines...no problems with those pipes changing colors. It's a used bike anyways and would have already showed up.

So I don't get how that's rolling the dice?

Did your personal experience also determine the bike will run hotter with a exhaust only mod?
Well, I guess I should have read his post closer because I took it to read that he was adding the pipes and not about existing ones. When I called the mfg about the yellowing on mine, they told me it sometimes does that and it's most often attributed to lack of a tune. So based upon that, to tune or not would be arbitrary and "rolling the dice" now wouldn't it?

I was merely trying to save the OP that possibility. I don't claim to be an expert at all, in fact I openly admit I'm not. Again, I was trying to save someone some grief if I could and my intentions were good.

What's it to you anyway?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Yes, similar to that but did it in two places right at the joint at the collector and where the baffle ended inside about 5" from end of muffler. I should have taken a pic before I sent it back.

Originally Posted by 8541hog
If this is what you are talking about, that is natural and perfectly normal for Stainless Steel that is heated, mine is certainly tuned properly.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
Yes, similar to that but did it in two places right at the joint at the collector and where the baffle ended insidem about 5" from end of muffler. I should have taken a pic before I sent it back.
It's normal for stainless, you can polish it out, but it will always do it. most good exhaust systems are made of stainless, mine is all 304 stainless including my welds.
There is a way to coat it inside that can prevent it, I have never tried it so not clear what you use, but my partner was telling me about it.

Quick Reply: New pipes and nothing else?