Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint front end

After seeing all the tricks to painting the lower legs here and if the weather holds out this weekend I'm going to paint the lower legs gloss black, wish me luck at the worst if they don't turn out the way I want I'll polish them.But I think everything is going to just fine I'll post pics when done I hope.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM
purevil71
Tourer

Please post up pix and let us know how it goes. Also, what kind of paint are you using?

I'm wanting to do the black lowers to my bike, but don't have the ability to have them powder coated, so I'm looking into painting them.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
After seeing all the tricks to painting the lower legs here and if the weather holds out this weekend I'm going to paint the lower legs gloss black, wish me luck at the worst if they don't turn out the way I want I'll polish them.But I think everything is going to just fine I'll post pics when done I hope.
You are going to use appliance epoxy right? Regular paint isn't durable enough to take road debris and will get sand blasted off in no time.

Originally Posted by purevil71
Please post up pix and let us know how it goes. Also, what kind of paint are you using?

I'm wanting to do the black lowers to my bike, but don't have the ability to have them powder coated, so I'm looking into painting them.
Check out this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ower-legs.html

I picked up all the stuff I need for mine just waiting on my new Hogpro rims/tires to get in on Monday so I can fit my new 21" rim with my RWD front fender, etc. Then I am going to be spraying my lowers, probably next weekend if the weather holds up and stays somewhat warm.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use the epoxy paint, be careful. I had the intentions of doing my lowers with it also and after spraying other misc, parts, I was not having good luck with this paint. I know its all about prep but I guess I was doing something wrong.. Every part Ive painted with this stuff get "fish eyes" where the paint just spreads out and refuses to coat in small areas. I sprayed light coats too..

I ended up just taking my Tubes/lowers apart and sending them to Joe for powder, Its cheap enough and WAY better.. Im glad I did anyways, It was easy to do and the oil inside the tubes was filthy and needed changing.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 AM
purevil71
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gringoloco13
You are going to use appliance epoxy right? Regular paint isn't durable enough to take road debris and will get sand blasted off in no time.

Check out this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ower-legs.html

I picked up all the stuff I need for mine just waiting on my new Hogpro rims/tires to get in on Monday so I can fit my new 21" rim with my RWD front fender, etc. Then I am going to be spraying my lowers, probably next weekend if the weather holds up and stays somewhat warm.

Awesome...thank you for the link. Going to pick everything up this weekend and hopefully get them done next week.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain

Rustoleum App. epoxy to those who have asked about the paint.Its going to be about 50 here today going to saddle up and head over to my buddies paint shop and give this a whirl.He has been painting for 40 yrs. so I'm going to hand him the cans and have at it,he also does polishing so if it doesn't work out I'll polish the legs instead.Results to follow I think were going to see some pretty black legs in the future.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by nj wideglide 11
Rustoleum App. epoxy to those who have asked about the paint.Its going to be about 50 here today going to saddle up and head over to my buddies paint shop and give this a whirl.He has been painting for 40 yrs. so I'm going to hand him the cans and have at it,he also does polishing so if it doesn't work out I'll polish the legs instead.Results to follow I think were going to see some pretty black legs in the future.
Good stuff man post some pics of the turn out! Glad to hear you are using the epoxy just didn't want you do use regular paint only to see it chipped up in no time.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:36 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paging "nj wideglide 11"

Well............How did it go?

Inquiring minds want to know....................