Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock lowering blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Shock lowering blocks

I have 12" Hagon Nitro shocks on my bike which I am very pleased with but am about to fit the voodoo rear fender, think it will look better with 11" shocks but trying to avoid the expense of changing these, other option is fitting lowering blocks, but seems all these do is angle the socks further back to lower the height, surely this will compromise the ability of the shocks ? Would be good to get feedback from members who have fitted these, positive & negative, cheers, Paul.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
florida dyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the blocks for about 200 miles and took them back off. I bottomed out several times and on right turns the exhaust was scrubbing way to early. Haven't tried them since I changed exhaust. However with that said I have stock shocks.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I have them and they do just what they say. They move the rear shock mount back wards so the bike sits lower. As a general rule you have too tighten up the shocks a notch or two. After playing with blocks and shocks, new shocks are probably a better answer, but the blocks will work. One note, they WILL interfere with large or close fitting saddlebags with shock cutouts.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,240 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Paul,

Because the lower shock mount is further back on the swingarm it will have more leverage. The shock will feel "softer". This can be good if your ride is a bit stiff right now. Also, since there is more leverage the shock will be "busier".

I am running air shocks, so when I put the lowering blocks on I add some more air and the ride is BETTER than without the lowering blocks.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I have run them with stock shocks for two years. I didn't bottom out until I moved to Oklahoma which has the worst roads I've ever seen. I didn't adjust my shocks from where they were set stock and I'm sure that would have prevented it. I've got some 1" blocks for sale if you want them.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Skatz5000
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to see you made a decision and went the voodoo route paul. cant wait for mine. i know i discussed with pete at RB's that the fender has shims and such the adjust the height of the fender to make it further or closer to the wheel. i would wait til its in place then play with the shims and see what kind of adjustibility it truly has. i cant comment just yet as im stateside so the delivery process is taking a bit longer but ive got burly slammers to go on so ill be messing with the shims to sit it as close as possible while allowing the suspension the proper travel ( which shouldnt be a whole lot with those stubby 10.5's hahah)

Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Skatz5000
glad to see you made a decision and went the voodoo route paul. cant wait for mine. i know i discussed with pete at RB's that the fender has shims and such the adjust the height of the fender to make it further or closer to the wheel. i would wait til its in place then play with the shims and see what kind of adjustibility it truly has. i cant comment just yet as im stateside so the delivery process is taking a bit longer but ive got burly slammers to go on so ill be messing with the shims to sit it as close as possible while allowing the suspension the proper travel ( which shouldnt be a whole lot with those stubby 10.5's hahah)
Good advice, think I'll wait till I've got everything here & see how it looks, can adjust my Hagons roughly + or - 1/2 ". Just got to get my head round spending another £1200 on this ride as I've got a lot of money tied up in it already, but it's gonna look the dogs when done, cheers, Paul.