Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 AM
dyna2319
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts

Has anyone else received this notice? I got mine today it was sent out in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Saftey Act. The recall effects 06 Dyna Models built between June 17, 2005 to Feb 6, 2006. I quote from the notice. "These vehicles contain a battery caddy bolt part number 4763 which may loosen under normal riding conditions. Should this occur, the bolt can back out which allows the battery to shift position and then hold the battery in a position which may allow the battery terminals to contact the metal battery caddy cover and abrade through the positive terminal protective boot."
Fortunately I have had the battey box off mine and used the red loctite on all the bolts that hold the battery caddy in place. Just wanted to let the other folks know this is a problem so they can check theirs out. According to the way I read the notice it only effects the wide glide, but it could also be out for other models.

Dyan2319
06 FXDWG/I with more mods than the wife knows about

Old 12-14-2006, 12:24 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts

Mine was born 12/05/05........guess I'll be getting a letter. Thanks for the post. I'll just loctite mine too.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 AM
stbob
Tourer

Yep i got the letter yesterday

Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 AM
metal_mike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got mine today as well

Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine today, and like all the other **** that could possibly be wrong my bike is one of them.

Still waiting to get my nuetral light fixed that went to **** at 2000 miles, primary bearing screaming now, 02 sensors are f#cked............

Still love my bike, though............ I wish Harley would just send us the parts, so we could fix the junk ourselves...... Hate the dealerships crappy service departments.

Anyway, my bolt is NOT loose but I did notice insulation is worn off my negative battery cable........... You may want to check yours.

No problem with the positive..........

DougJ

Old 12-14-2006, 01:21 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a thread about this a couple weeks ago...but I'm too lazy to search for it. Basically, you could fix this yourself just by putting some locktite on the bolt.
I got the letter today as well. I thought I read something about how you could request that they just give you the updated parts (i.e. bolt). Why would I make an appt. to have this installed when it's a 5 minute thing that I could do myself? I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and ask about it.

Todd

Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw the earlier thread too.

So how can I tell when my Low Rider was born?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
oldfrtbkr
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: dyna2319

Has anyone else received this notice? I got mine today it was sent out in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Saftey Act. The recall effects 06 Dyna Models built between June 17, 2005 to Feb 6, 2006. I quote from the notice. "These vehicles contain a battery caddy bolt part number 4763 which may loosen under normal riding conditions. Should this occur, the bolt can back out which allows the battery to shift position and then hold the battery in a position which may allow the battery terminals to contact the metal battery caddy cover and abrade through the positive terminal protective boot."
Fortunately I have had the battey box off mine and used the red loctite on all the bolts that hold the battery caddy in place. Just wanted to let the other folks know this is a problem so they can check theirs out. According to the way I read the notice it only effects the wide glide, but it could also be out for other models.

Dyan2319
06 FXDWG/I with more mods than the wife knows about
================================================== ==========
Got mine yesterday and as far as fixinf it myself, sure a bit of locktite will do it but why not have it on record with the MoCo that they did it? This way of something goes wrong in the future it qon't come back and bite your butt

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/43D90C25BE0447E5A20FFFEE04C6B4AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 12:10 PM
xmeter
Tourer

I saw the earlier thread too.

So how can I tell when my Low Rider was born?
The manufactured date will be on a tag on your frame up by your steering neck...at least it is on mine.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 PM
papapat
Intermediate

Got mine yestersay-06 street bob-only reason I can think of for going to dealer ,is so that HD can't come back and say it was never done to their specs; should something happen later on..

Quick Reply: Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts