Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:10 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts

How to fix it

1. Take battery box cover off...1 phillips screw
2. remove battery cables from battery 2 phillips screws
3. pull off rubber battery strap
4. remove battery (put on tender while it's out to see if fully charged-optional)
5. look in battery box......see brass colored torx screw on the back wall of box
6. unscrew it....almost all the way until threads are exposed....put loctite on threads....screw in & tighten
7. replace battery in box
8. put strap back on
9. reinstall battery cables & rubber boot on red one
10 re-install battery box cover

you are done.............. easy peasy

Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Bobber Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

How to fix it

4. remove battery (put on tender while it's out to see if fully charged-optional)
5. look in battery box......see brass colored torx screw on the back wall of box
6. unscrew it....almost all the way until threads are exposed....put loctite on threads....screw in & tighten
8. put strap back on

isn't disconnecting the battery terminals going to mess up the security system even if it is disabled?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My notice was in the mail yesterday. Doesn't sound like a big problem, more of an oversight during the manufacturing process. I learned from a "47 Knuckle hard tail chopper, "EVERY" bolt on a Harley needs a little "242". Hopefully, no one had the problem of chaffed lines causing a short and worst yet, catching the bike on fire. And to think, I could have bought a VTX, Road Warrior, Gold Wing, or any number of other Japanese made machinery -->NOT!!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bobber Rider

How to fix it

8. put strap back on

isn't disconnecting the battery terminals going to mess up the security system even if it is disabled?
I have the S&W .357 security system and it's not electric.............

Old 12-15-2006, 03:06 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bobber Rider

How to fix it

8. put strap back on

When I installed the wire harness for the heated jacket liner, I had the battery disconnected for at least 20 minutes and the security system was not effected. I have to assume that it's holding a separate power...or stored memory on board. It wouldn't make much sense to have a security system that reset itself every time the battery was disconnected. That would leave the bike very vulnerable to theft...hell..anyone could walk up to a bike and remove the battery...if the security system was reset, it wouldn't be a very good security system.
As far as the bolt is concerned, I, like some other folks, really had to give it a good nudge to loosen it. And when I put it back on, I torqued down on it pretty good. I'm going to go to the dealer this weekend and see if they can just give me the new bolt...and tell what I should torque it to.

Todd

Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Timmer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to fix it

8. put strap back on

Thanks Kev. I got my notice today. Of course it'll be a cold day in hell before my Stealer bozo's touch my scoot again.Thanks Tim

Old 12-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dlstanf2

My notice was in the mail yesterday. Doesn't sound like a big problem, more of an oversight during the manufacturing process. I learned from a "47 Knuckle hard tail chopper, "EVERY" bolt on a Harley needs a little "242". Hopefully, no one had the problem of chaffed lines causing a short and worst yet, catching the bike on fire. And to think, I could have bought a VTX, Road Warrior, Gold Wing, or any number of other Japanese made machinery -->NOT!!
I have my suspicions that something revolving around this problem is causing me to short out on occasion. I've shorted so many times my negative terminal bolt's washer is fried.

Whiff

Old 12-16-2006, 11:17 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Better get it in to the dealer before you have a FXDBBQ.....

ORIGINAL: Whiffleboy

I have my suspicions that something revolving around this problem is causing me to short out on occasion. I've shorted so many times my negative terminal bolt's washer is fried.

Whiff

Old 12-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

Whiff
...or a blown ECM, which brings your ride to abrupt halt (already experienced this on a VRSCD).

BTW, I had my battery completely disconnected for several minutes when I put battery tender cables in. The security system was fully back on line as soon as I turned power on/off at the dash switch.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I would think there has to be a memory battery in the security system........you know the small disc type watch/computer/hearing aid style.

ORIGINAL: Cav

Whiff
...or a blown ECM, which brings your ride to abrupt halt (already experienced this on a VRSCD).

BTW, I had my battery completely disconnected for several minutes when I put battery tender cables in. The security system was fully back on line as soon as I turned power on/off at the dash switch.

Quick Reply: Recall Notice- Battery Caddy Bolts