Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really need some help with a sticking throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Drdriller
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I really need some help with a sticking throttle.

I just replaced the stock grips on my 2011 fat bob with the kuryakyn iso grips. The throttle side works freely until I tighten the housing, then it sticks. I mean it won't return to idle when I release it. When I hold the housing tight with my hands, the throttle is fine. It only sticks when I tighten the housing. I can't figure out where it is binding. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it? I have adjusted the cables.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 PM
HarleyBobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to take a dremel to mine. It was doing the same thing. Some lube in there may work too. Truth is, it still sticks a little. I just deal with it.
I think trimming is the ticket though.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

did you adjust the throttle at the carb? using graphite on the bar is recommended.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Drdriller
Cruiser

Where did you hit it with a Dremel? I can't friggin figure out where it's binding. I don't know if I should trim the grip or housing.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

i had the same grips, make sure throttle is not all the way on the bar ,leave some play at the end of bar, also the throttle lock may have lodged when reassembling, thats what happened to me

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM
HarleyBobber
Cruiser

possibly both. The housing is easy trimming, plastic. My grips are metal, but trimmed there too. Graphite on the bar is great too.

Did you adjust at the tension nut near the grip?? May need to stiffen the return.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Drdriller
Cruiser

Robtarra39, thanks so much!!!!!!!!! My throttle lock was stuck, now the grip works like a charm. I can't believe I missed it, thanks again.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Robterra posted about leaving a little gap at the end of the bar. Unscrew the cap and see if there is some space between the end of the grip and the end of the bar...you don't want any interference there. I installed ISO TB grips a few weeks ago. They aren't as 'free' as the old ISO grips were, but those had many working-hours on them too. Clean the bar and grip before using graphite. It will do the job once it gets worked in. It is a powder so be careful with that stuff.

Ah Ha! See you fixed it. Good show!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drdriller
Robtarra39, thanks so much!!!!!!!!! My throttle lock was stuck, now the grip works like a charm. I can't believe I missed it, thanks again.
Happened to me on two different bikes. Must have taken them apart 10 times before I figured out the thumb screw was a little too tight.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Drdriller
I just replaced the stock grips on my 2011 fat bob with the kuryakyn iso grips.
Originally Posted by Austin Dave
did you adjust the throttle at the carb? using graphite on the bar is recommended.
2011 Bike = no carb.

My 2010 FatBoy had a defective throttle that would not return properly right from the dealer. I backed out the throttle lock all the way but to no avail. Amazingly, HD replaced it for free and the bike was a several days old already!

Quick Reply: I really need some help with a sticking throttle.