Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:11 PM
JimiNales
|
4th Gear
Default 06 Street Bob

hey guys, 2 things. first off after reading all the horor storeis on my ride about stators and ipb, does anyone still ride an 06 street bob and love it as i do? second, im thinking of installing the progressive shocks. are they worht the cash? thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:14 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

I like my 06. I just had the recall work done on the transmission, and had the mids re-installed. I don't have Progressives, I have Ricors. Worth it.

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:17 PM
JimiNales
|
4th Gear

what was the cost on the tranny work?

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:35 PM
kilrain
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JimiNales
hey guys, 2 things. first off after reading all the horor storeis on my ride about stators and ipb, does anyone still ride an 06 street bob and love it as i do? second, im thinking of installing the progressive shocks. are they worht the cash? thanks in advance.
My '06 seems to be doing just fine however I bought it with very low miles so...........

Either way, they are a labor of love so, love it or leave it I reckon'?

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:45 PM
JimiNales
|
4th Gear

ya i bought mine with 2200 miles on her and doin fine(knock on wood), there are just so many posts on how they are guinney pigs with the 6 speed tranny

Old 01-28-2012 | 12:38 AM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Originally Posted by JimiNales
what was the cost on the tranny work?
Well the recall work was free, since it hadn't ever been done and it's a safety issue so it doesn't expire. It is a very extensive process, 14 pages of instruction for the HD mechanic. Safety Recall Code 0124

Google this doc name using the quotes:

"m1183a-2006dynatransmission.pdf"

...to see the full procedure doc.

So the recall work was free, and since the recall work involved both primary covers, the service department was just going to add one hour of labor (+ any parts) for me to have them re-install the mid shifter lever. I had most of the parts thanks to Mud who sold me some mids he had.

During the recall teardown of the transmission, the mechanic found a bad bearing (not the primary bearing, this is part 8967 a double-row ball bearing in the transmission). So I had to buy a new bearing and add one more hour of labor.

While they were in there I also had them change oil and filter.

So I paid for:

Change to mids:
==========
- Shifter Rod
- Shifter Lever Assembly
- One hour labor to change to mids

[I saved on all the gaskets and two hours labor labor because of the recall kit containing them, also new tranny and primary fluids, etc]

Oil and filter:
========
- The difference between synth and dino oil
- half hour labor
- filter

Bearing replacement:
=============
- retaining ring
- o-ring, output gear
- oil seal
- gasket, clutch cover
- spacer
- ball bearing double row
- one hour labor

Total for me out the door was $402

Old 01-28-2012 | 08:09 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
Well the recall work was free, since it hadn't ever been done and it's a safety issue so it doesn't expire. It is a very extensive process, 14 pages of instruction for the HD mechanic. Safety Recall Code 0124

Google this doc name using the quotes:

"m1183a-2006dynatransmission.pdf"

...to see the full procedure doc.

So the recall work was free, and since the recall work involved both primary covers, the service department was just going to add one hour of labor (+ any parts) for me to have them re-install the mid shifter lever. I had most of the parts thanks to Mud who sold me some mids he had.

During the recall teardown of the transmission, the mechanic found a bad bearing (not the primary bearing, this is part 8967 a double-row ball bearing in the transmission). So I had to buy a new bearing and add one more hour of labor.

While they were in there I also had them change oil and filter.

So I paid for:

Change to mids:
==========
- Shifter Rod
- Shifter Lever Assembly
- One hour labor to change to mids

[I saved on all the gaskets and two hours labor labor because of the recall kit containing them, also new tranny and primary fluids, etc]

Oil and filter:
========
- The difference between synth and dino oil
- half hour labor
- filter

Bearing replacement:
=============
- retaining ring
- o-ring, output gear
- oil seal
- gasket, clutch cover
- spacer
- ball bearing double row
- one hour labor

Total for me out the door was $402
Sounds to me like you're working your way to a "Full Monty".
You can discount others post concerning IPB issues as others have done, even ridicule them! no skin off of my a$$, but here's some info you may be interested in.

I, and many others, have had the "Full Monty" done to our '06 Dyna's at no expense...compliments of the MoCo.

I choose to share this with you because, while reading your post, I recognized problems that you explained that reminded me of my case in particular.

From what I was told, there was 800-900 '06 Dyna trans cases that were mis-machined over a 3 day run, wich with hindsight makes sense to me.

My first episode with my trans wasn't an IPB, but a spun main bearing on the Trans output shaft. Prior to that, I had changed a clutch cable, and while the R/H cover was removed, I discovered there was a thick grey mud like coating on the inside of case.

Shortly after that, a seal started seeping, so I took the bike to the dealership(still under ESP) to have the seal replaced.

While at the shop, I commented "there's somthing going on with the trans", and explained the grey mud to the service writer. He told me that if the tore it down and found nothing, I'd have to pay that labor.

After lengthy discussion, they agreed to look into it, and the next day contacted me to let me know they would be rebuilding my trans and primary.

Thanks to ESP my bill for that was $50.00. (First time I was glad I had extended warrenty)

That occured at about 60K mi.

Less than 20K mi. later, I had an IPB start going south, so it's back to the dealership. I proclaimed to the service manager that it just wasn't right! And that I needed some help with it. I was expecting to have to pay for labor, or parts, or somthing. Much to my delight, when I picked up the bike, there was no charge.

About then is when I became real interested in anything I could find on HDForums about '06 Dyna IPB failures. There's a multitude of info concerning IPB's on the forums, you just have to sort out the rant, and look closely at the rest.

In particular, there are copies of 2 letters sent to '06 Dyna owners from the MoCo explaining they're sampling IPB's for possible inpending failures, and then dismissing the efforts after enough info was gathered. Furthermore, there is a good annalisis written by a 30 year vertan bearing engineer that explains things very clear.

My third episode occured about 8K mi. after that. An IPB failing again. I approched the service manager well educated and informed, expecting to have to debate and explain all the reasons why I felt that I should get the full monty on their dime. But much to my supprise, he picked up on the conversation about 2 min. into it, and let me know he was on my side.

He asked me to give him a couple day to make a phone call to the MoCo. 3 days later, he called to let me know it had been approved, and asked me when I wanted to drop off the bike. I told him "As soon as you call me and tell me you have all the parts on hand". 2 weeks later, the bike was dropped off for a 2 day turn-a-round. WOW!(I still have permagrin)

The IPB failing is the symptom, caused by "dual loading" of the bearing caused by the shaft being slightly canted.(mis-aligned)

The cure is the "full monty". The '07 trans and inner primary case are machine matched, and dowel-pinned fo exact fitment.

There are all kinds of debates as to why or why not...hasn't been a recall. I choose not to enter into that.

The fact remains, there are hundreds of them out there, and I've persononally spoken to owners that have paid $1,000 to $1,200 while out on the road to get what amounts to a temporary repair,(Trans rebuild) because they don't know, don't believe, or don't care. You can see that all over the Forums too!

Hope this helps

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 01-28-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 08:23 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

I have an 06 Street Bob and have watched all of the discussions related to the inner primary bearing failures with interest since there could be impact to my bike. So far my bike has performed without any problems, the IPB was checked at 10,000 miles when I swapped the engine out for an SE 120R, no problems were found. I was even proposing replacing the bearing on my dime since we were there after having read about the failures some were experiencing and was advised by a tech I trust very much that there wasn't any reason to do so.

Even with 139.92 hp and 133.7 tq at the tire, I haven't seen any problems with mine, but I only put 2000 miles on this bike last season (I put close to 8500 on my Street Glide though). Will the bike have problems when it sees 20,000 to 60,000 miles don't know yet. In the mean time I will just ride until something prevents it.

Old 01-28-2012 | 09:57 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
I have an 06 Street Bob and have watched all of the discussions related to the inner primary bearing failures with interest since there could be impact to my bike. So far my bike has performed without any problems, the IPB was checked at 10,000 miles when I swapped the engine out for an SE 120R, no problems were found. I was even proposing replacing the bearing on my dime since we were there after having read about the failures some were experiencing and was advised by a tech I trust very much that there wasn't any reason to do so.

Even with 139.92 hp and 133.7 tq at the tire, I haven't seen any problems with mine, but I only put 2000 miles on this bike last season (I put close to 8500 on my Street Glide though). Will the bike have problems when it sees 20,000 to 60,000 miles don't know yet. In the mean time I will just ride until something prevents it.
Smart thing to do. This problem doesn't affect all of th '06 Dyna's, but the ones it does..... are in for a problematic experience.

I was one of those guys, and I keep in touch with some others who have been through the process.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 01-28-2012 | 10:26 AM
JimiNales
|
4th Gear

so the guys who have had the major work problems done on the moco's dime have had this done recently? there is actually more to my story than i have told, im in Canada, and bought the bike used in Canada but the bike was origianally purchased in the States and brought over as a used purchase. will this affect this recall? i now have 7700 miles on her and havent had an issue but im wondering if i should dump the bike or keep it and chance it? i really want to keep her. but i do have the oil seepage where the cases meet on top of the primary.

i actually have been in contact with deally harley davidson which is the main office in Candada and the guy said that its already a 6 years old and may not honor the work on the bike. do i give up and pay if this tranny prob happens, sell it and hope that the next used harley i buy doesnt have maufactorer defects, or ride it like its stolen?
!
thanks from a Canadian brother for all the help!

Quick Reply: 06 Street Bob