Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012 | 12:23 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Default IPB Failures

IPB on my '06 LR went last summer at 26k and the MoCo did the full monty at their expense. No ESP and well out of warranty. So the MoCo does seem to be standing behind their mistakes. That said, it's not necessarily a gimmie either, I had to fight the dealer a lot and the MoCo a little to make it all happen. A supportive dealer goes a long way to making it a smooth process. As has been said, prepare, read the ton of info already in this forum on the topic and you should do OK.

Now as far as being Canadian, well...... can't help you there

Old 01-28-2012 | 12:25 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Originally Posted by JimiNales
so the guys who have had the major work problems done on the moco's dime have had this done recently? there is actually more to my story than i have told, im in Canada, and bought the bike used in Canada but the bike was origianally purchased in the States and brought over as a used purchase. will this affect this recall? i now have 7700 miles on her and havent had an issue but im wondering if i should dump the bike or keep it and chance it? i really want to keep her. but i do have the oil seepage where the cases meet on top of the primary.

i actually have been in contact with deally harley davidson which is the main office in Candada and the guy said that its already a 6 years old and may not honor the work on the bike. do i give up and pay if this tranny prob happens, sell it and hope that the next used harley i buy doesnt have maufactorer defects, or ride it like its stolen?
!
thanks from a Canadian brother for all the help!
I'd ride it like you own it... If it's running ok now, maybe yours isn't on of the affected ones. It's hard to say. From what I've seen so far, there's not any particular ryme or reason to a trend, no particular reagion that has the problems. I've had conversations with a member in Wasington state, who was one of the origional posters with the problem and got it done by the MoCo, His was done a couple years back, with a few thousand miles on his. And, another member who is in So. Calif. who is presently going thru the process with the help of his service guy. And he states he isn't the origional owner! But his service guy is "Stepping up to the plate" for him.

Myself; Mine was done last fall, I'm the origional owner, my service was done at the dealership where I bought it, and it's a "high miles" bike.

I'm guessing my service guy figures" a little goodwill goes a long way", and I'm good with that. It's a two way street, and he knew I'll be shopping for another bike soon.

You'll know if and when your bike is having problems, when the bike is running, and you shift it into neutral and let out the clutch, it'll make a sound like a kid on the sidewalk on steel rollerskates. Until then... I'd be researching anythig I could find here on the Forums on that subject. That will help you to weigh your options, and form a plan, should it happen.

Please understand....I'm not trying to spook you here, My intent is to let you know that there are options available besides "dumping" the bike.
If you take the time to "Search" here on the Forums you'll find plenty of solid info on this. You'll just have to filter out the "rant".

As far as getting it done by the MoCo, I think a lot of that has to do with how much your service guy is willing to "stand behind you" on that.

Hope this helps

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 01-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 12:36 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Sounds like I should check in to an extended warranty if it isn't too late.

Old 01-28-2012 | 01:30 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

you guys with low mileage on your 06 dynas will most likely have this issue aroun 14-26k miles....so keep an eye on this....its no joke, but easy to fix

Old 01-28-2012 | 01:50 PM
JimiNales
|
4th Gear

thanks so much for all the good info! my dearlership is not the greatest but the only one around since i live in butt *** saskatchewan. excuse the language. i read from an official letter stating that the bikes affected by safety recall involving the jumping out of nuetral issue is on bikes from june of 05 to oct of 05 and my manufacture date is 06-06 so i might be out of the woods on that one.

Old 01-28-2012 | 02:32 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
I like my 06. I just had the recall work done on the transmission, and had the mids re-installed. I don't have Progressives, I have Ricors. Worth it.
The "recall work" you are referring to is for a "false neutral light indication" that replaced the shift drum. It has nothing to do with the IPB problems.

Comparing Apples to Oranges FYI

Best wishes...Tim(HT)

Old 01-28-2012 | 03:08 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Jimi;

If you end up having an IPB problem, and your "Trev Deely" shop(s) won't go to bat for you with the MoCo, I'd plan on a trip across the border to a supportive US dealership who has experience getting the Full Monty for people. With lead/order times, you may end up leaving it for a few weeks, but that beats a big out-of-pocket expense.
If you haven't run across it already, read my thread "Finally Good News..."; about all you need to know.

Old 01-28-2012 | 03:13 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
The "recall work" you are referring to is for a "false neutral light indication" that replaced the shift drum. It has nothing to do with the IPB problems.

Comparing Apples to Oranges FYI

Best wishes...Tim(HT)
Tim, I wasn't making a comparison. I mentioned the recall because I wanted the OP to be aware of it. When the primary cover is off during the recall work is a good time to check the primary bearing. When my recall work was done my primary was checked and did not have an issue. However the transmission bearing did, and as you state they may or may not be related.

Old 01-28-2012 | 03:15 PM
JimiNales
|
4th Gear

will do

Old 01-28-2012 | 03:28 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
Tim, I wasn't making a comparison. I mentioned the recall because I wanted the OP to be aware of it. When the primary cover is off during the recall work is a good time to check the primary bearing. When my recall work was done my primary was checked and did not have an issue. However the transmission bearing did, and as you state they may or may not be related.
Not meant to offend....Just wanted the OP to get a clear view of the history concerning this issue.

I don't know if you read my post with your quote in it, but yours caught my attention. You mentioned that you had to replace the mainshaft carrier bearings in yours. That is the way mine showed itself the first time it went to the shop.

I knew there was something going on, so when I had it in for a leaking seal, I convinced them to look into it. I had spun a main output shaft carrier bearing set in my tranny.

Sorry for the mis-understanding...

Best wishes...Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 01-28-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: can't spell

Quick Reply: 06 Street Bob