Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSoil VS. Redline

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AMSoil VS. Redline

i was leaning towards running Redline synthetic in my bike, but now im wondering which is better. AMSoil or redline? what are your experiences between the two and which do you prefer?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Red line uses a group 5 basestock. Amsoil is group 4. Not that it matters much. Either or is fine. They are both top notch and will keep your bike in tip top condition inside. I have a few cases of amsoil I got for free so looks like I am using amsoil for the next few seasons but I would and have used red line. Their shockproof tranny fluid is the best in the business and I won't use anything but in my 6 speed.

Last edited by Shredding rubber; 01-27-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Amsoil in all 3 holes on mine...
But your question about which is better.. Technically the Redline is made with a little better base stock than Amsoil...Redline starts with a Group 5 sync base...the most expensive base.

Now which will give you the best protection...all oils now days are 100 times better than our daddy's Quaker State 30 wt he used in the family car... WE all want the best for our bikes, so pick you out one and use it. I do not believe you need to pay $10-15 a quart to protect your engine...
If you use a good oil...something you can afford and change it, with the filter regularly. I do not think you will ever have any problems under normal use due to oil wear. You gonna be alright... There is some stuff on the market I would not put in my lawn mower but that is another post.
I use Amsoil cause we had so much good luck racing motocross for years. I like the product and it is easy to get.
This is my 2 cents on this.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 AM
sgmfiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '06 WG with a six speed and I changed from Amsoil to Redline because at the time they didn't have primary oil and I didn't like their tranny oil. Redline with shockproof is far better in the transmission. I like the Redline primary oil as it seems that the clutch stays more reliable during hot operation. I also tend to believe that with the small oil tank capacity of the Dyna that the oil tends to get hotter and that Redline seems to hold its body better at high temp. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way I will keep using Redline. In the wind.

Pops

Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have used both. I like amsoil 20w50 synthetic for the engine and the redline product for the primary and transmission. that said I usually just use the amsoil as I can get it pretty easily. I think personally as long as the product you use in your bike is high quality you wont go wrong. Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Lucas all make great products.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If you change your oil every 3-4k it really does not matter what oil you use so long as the oil is rated for air-cooled bikes.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,961 Likes on 5,340 Posts

Is no better just a madder of choice.
The RED LINE shock proof heavy in the gear box will hold up to the beatings in racing but few really get that carzy.
Redline is a great company that support motorcycles and riders.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use RedLine in all my bikes, especially like the heavy shockproff in the tranny,quiet and smooth shifting. There primary oil works good also. As far as the motor oil one is probably as good as another in the full syn. I just stayed with one brand.
In the end its your choice, this was just my opinion.

Last edited by icebite1; 01-28-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM
goblin127
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the red line shock proof in my tranny now. Switched it from mobil 1 late summer and it made a good diff. Have the red line in primary but as I expected I can't tell. Clutch has always been fine. Mobil 1 in the motor thats been fine also.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM
JasonGlides
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for the 20k on mine. I am going to give that redline a try after reading this thread. bump.

Quick Reply: AMSoil VS. Redline