Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reckless Cheap Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
xbox
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
here is mine using quick detach mounts. you will just need 1" spacers to mount on all the clamps, if you have 49mm mid glide forks. i just cut the vertical part of the stock bracket off. no need to take it to a shop, its not hard and you will need to test fit it to your forks anyways
By chance any pick of the stock bracket?
vertical part?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM
xbox
Tourer

and where can I get the 1" spacers and longer bolts?
link?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer

the brackets just look like the letter P. sorry dont have pics of it before i cut it up but i just cut the long vertical section off. you can get some spacers at any hardware store. a steering damper smooths out and slows down steering response to bumpsteer and with the added weight of the fairing it will slow down steering response in corners reducing the tendency for the front end to fall away

Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

xantasm, you still running the dual headlights with your faring? I want to add fairing to my fatbob but cant find anything to fit dual lamps except a cafe rig.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
xantasm
Supporter

Originally Posted by icebite1
xantasm, you still running the dual headlights with your faring? I want to add fairing to my fatbob but cant find anything to fit dual lamps except a cafe rig.
I switched to a 7" bullet so going to a RK fairing will fit just about right for me. I had a couple of 7" LED headlights left over from my last Jeep so I sold my duals for more than the bullet setup and made it LED with parts I had in the garage

Have you looked at a Road Glide twin headlight fairing? The headlight insert portion might take some massaging to work with the Fat Bob duals but I would think it's doable with some creativity. Check out the pic of the 2012 Road Glide with twins and you'll see what I mean http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...tml#/c/gallery

I think those are dual 7"s in the Road Glide but with a new insert or something to sort of wrap the twin Fat Bob light I would think the fairing itself could come out looking like the new thing for Fat Bob's

Last edited by xantasm; 01-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks xantsm but the road glide fairing is ,in my opinion, way too ugly for Bob. I always am open to suggestions so will look into changing out the head light. Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Rolling Meatball of Doom
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xbox
Ok dumb question, what is a damper?
https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-spec...it.pH58683.prd

A steering Damper is basically a shock that helps to stabilize your steering structure against minor sudden and sharp movements. (such as minor wind steer or small bumps in the road)

If you remember about 10-20 years ago you had to constantly move your hands back and forth on a car steering wheel to keep the car on the road. It became second nature to most people and you probably never noticed. A few years back they started installing these on the hub assemblies of cars to keep you from having to do that as often. The result is the ability to pretty much drive without hands 80% of the time.

Would you like to know more?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the reckless fairing really oversized or something? As it looks like it sticks out way past the headlight for some reason.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
xantasm
Supporter

Originally Posted by DTDK
Is the reckless fairing really oversized or something? As it looks like it sticks out way past the headlight for some reason.
I am assuming the look depends on the light style. The old pickup style the early Harley's used and which is the same as the new Fat Boy uses isn't very deep. Its just a shallow bucket with a lens cover on it. The only way to get it to stick out farther is with an extended mounting block or a deeper bucket like a bullet so what your probably seeing is pics of a Soft Tail, Fat Boy etc with that kind of light and a fairing with an opening that is slightly deeper than the light sticks out from the triple tree mounting plate. It seems to me a lot of people don't like the look of a 7" bullet with no fairing and they usually get a new light long before deciding on getting a fairing. That's why I got a bullet cause when I get a fairing lined up (which I planned from the beginning) I want the edge of the light to stick out as far or farther than the edge of the fairing. Does that make sense?

Last edited by xantasm; 01-23-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

makes sense to me, any chance of a link to a bullet style light? The ones i am finding all seem to be mini or aftermarket ones that will not work with the frenched style trim rings that you can get from the MOCO. If you had a year or model range that the bullet lights were on that would be be awesome.
Thanks

Last edited by DTDK; 01-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Reckless Cheap Fairing