Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel centered on FatBob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 AM
SpinnrUp
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front wheel centered on FatBob?

Have the front end off my 09 FXDF for a bearing replace. Measuring stuff I found the tire off center a bit to the right. I know it's not unusual to find this but am wondering about others scooters. I'm measuring at the sidewall to the the lower sliders. I'm finding the disc rotor off center as well. Normal?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:54 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my front tire replaced and after putting the wheel back on the bike I notice it is a little to the right also where the rotor isn't centered in between the caliper. I didn't even bother to look before I took the wheel off the first time so I'm not sure if it was like that before. The pistons in the caliper barely can come out on the right side and extend further on the left.
I left it like that but was thinking about shimming the caliper where it bolts to the forks to scoot it over a tad to where the rotor is centered inbetween the caliper.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Now that you mention it, yeah, there is a little variance in side-to-side measurements. My front tire is offset almost 1/8" to the left (primary) side, but the gap between the brake rotors and the sliders is the same on each side. Could be due to tire and/or wheel production tolerances. Whatever the reason, the bike seems to handle fine in spite of the offset so I'm ok with it.
~

Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh yea, make sure your wheel spacers are installed on the right side. My bike calls for a longer one on the left (rotor) side. I took the wheel off a few times making sure I lined everything up right and making sure the spacer was correct. I even swapped the spacers putting the longer one on the other (wrong) side and actually it brought it closer to being centered. I put it back the supposed "right" way though even though it looked better the "wrong" way.
I cleaned up the caliper pistons and rode it about 20 miles and the rotor wasn't hot so there is no excessive brake drag I can tell.