Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob - licence plate placement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Kolbein
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Street Bob - licence plate placement.

Hi guys,

I have been lurking around this forum for quite a while and it is time to jump into the water not minding the sharks...

I am getting a new Bob for the next season - my first Bob did not get 10miles on it before I totaled it (some guy turning left as I was overtaking him).

I have been thinking a bit about placement of the license plate. There have been reported some problems with the original placement - also I like the clean(er) looking fender.

Now - the problem. I will be riding with saddlebags the original Harley distressed leather kind. I chose these because they look good, are pretty easy to wrench on/off, don't require supports which ruin some the clean look I am going for. Generally bags don't quite fit the look I am going for - but it is nice to have somewhere to put stuff when touring.

Side mounting the license plate is a good option when without bags. With bags it can be on one of the bags. With bags going on and off... Well. I am not sure what to do. I imagine the side mount would rub against the bags if it was not removed. And there is also the issue of power to the license plate lighting. I guess one could make something nice with diodes and have some small batteries in the bag and manually turn it on/off with the bags on. One could have the license plate on a long arm so that it came clear of the bags when they where on, but I am not sure how good that would look with the bags off.

So in general I am looking for ideas as to where and how I can relocate the license plate...

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
CM22
Tourer

You could Attach a side mount using the rear axle bolt. Shouldn't get in the way there. They are easy to make or check out road6customs on eBay.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Kolbein
Stage III

Originally Posted by CM22
You could Attach a side mount using the rear axle bolt. Shouldn't get in the way there. They are easy to make or check out road6customs on eBay.
Well, I do believe that there might not be room for a side mount at the rear axle. Meaning - the bags would be in the way. The kind of saddlebags I am getting are the ones described/depicted in this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-for-dyna.html

Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
CM22
Tourer

Those bags definitely will limit where you could put a plate. In that case I would do something like what JRK5892 has on his rear fender.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Kolbein
Stage III

Well, the point is to get it away from the fender. I am considering having the fender chopped a bit...

Ideally I guess I am looking for a side mounting bracket that comes off fairly easy so that the plate (with parts of the bracket?) can go on the bag instead. With this something somewhat creative in the way power is fed to the license plate light... With leds it really could be small-battery-powered I guess. I don't think it is a biggie if I forget to turn on the light.

Or... Some other creative idea.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Jallie
Cruiser

attached at the rear shock absorber and ... rear cover pulley fixation.

like on these pictures

Inox hand-made, for a personal project for a Ford-32 rear light

my Dyna Black-Bobber

Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I relocate the stock holder to the swing arm, make a L shape bracket and a couple kuryakyn light bolts. One advice, you better make a base plate, my plate is starting to crack due to vibration at the swing arm.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
gtsouth
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is what I did with my wide glide to make room for throw over bags.

As you can see there is room above the plate for bags to sit all the way to the swing arm.

It is a road six custom bracket that I modified.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for an axel mount road6 mount, works great.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

take a vertical mount side bracket and make it horizontal and mount it to the bag. It could either be hung below the bag (giving you less ground clearence) or you could mount it so it runs flush with the bag.

Something like this.

Last edited by blueangel73; 03-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Street Bob - licence plate placement.