Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Switchback need a soft bag set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does the Switchback need a soft bag set up

Tell ya what, I don't run the bags on my fld because I just don't like em. Maybe once someone makes some that are stretched out and taller or maybe some rails...but till then, I'm out. I think someone needs to come up with a soft leather and quick release set of quality bags. Not commercial looking. Real leather ones that lay flat and plush like good leather should. I've seen quite a few really nice ones on this forum but I need them to be able to work with my existing release system. The real beauty of that system is how it disappears when the bags are off but would also mount and stabilize soft bags well too, if done right.

I'd sell my hard bags in a hot new york second if some company comes up with a set of what I'm envisioning.

Anyone hear any rumors of anything like this in the works? FLD owners are starving for options... vendors where are you!!!! LOL.
Definitely like the quick release system the fld already has mainly because its a way of locking them from the inside. Anyone agree the fld would look right with soft bags?

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 01-20-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about some good old style Calvary bags from one of the Horse and Tack suppliers.
They are usually made of good quality leather. They are usually a red-ish brown (cordovan color), that has been processed with oil to withstand the weather (like a Latigo treatment) Just get some hardware to make them quick disconnect.

Here was mine last year...................

Since I changed seat on my bike to an old 40's style seat I covered in saddle leather and have it dyed a dark beige color, so I have installed a different bag on it to kinda keep the colors matching.

Last edited by SteveO-ll; 01-20-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
How about some good old style Calvary bags from one of the Horse and Tack suppliers.
They are usually made of good quality leather. They are usually a red-ish brown (cordovan color), that has been processed with oil to withstand the weather (like a Latigo treatment) Just get some hardware to make them quick disconnect.

Here was mine last year...................

Since I changed seat on my bike to an old 40's style seat I covered in saddle leather and have it dyed a dark beige color, so I have installed a different bag on it to kinda keep the colors matching.
I'm going to look into available sizes on those types of bags. I see them fairly large in my minds eye and able to each take a helmet and full jacket. You are right, nice quality leather and along the lines I'm thinking. Lots and lots of already well-crafted styles and shapes. Thinking about all the saddles in the rose parade now...lol. dude you just created a monster! Great idea.

I just looked at my mounting hardware...it's a two piece system with a rail at the top and that has two receiver points, and then that mechanism also goes through the bag and becomes a latch which locks it in place from the inside of the bag. All that could be mounted on those soft bags. Then there's a second receiver that receives the third docking point and that could be backed up and screwed onto the leather bag too. That's all three docking points and locking from the inside. No doubt those two pieces will come up on parts list at HD. I'm looking into this more, hell of a idea. Thanks stevo. Hey, any pics of your final version with the different seat? Very clean bike you have there, nice look.

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 01-20-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally, I am a big fan of the Softail Springer Heritage leather bags ... I've seen where you can get reproductions of them on the aftermarket (couldn't tell you just where right now, but post the question in the Softail forum and you'll get the gouge ... or do a search) ....

Here's what I'm referring to ...

The bags have about as much volume as any you can get from Harley ... you could cut the backs off your FLD bags and affix the leather bags to your backs so they'd be quick-detach just like the stock FLD hard bags ....

The aftermarket ones come in a variety of options ... without the fancy texture on the flap and without the conchos and tassels ... the various options keep the same shape and overall look of the bags ....

Just my $0.02 ...

R/
'Chop

Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Personally, I am a big fan of the Softail Springer Heritage leather bags ... I've seen where you can get reproductions of them on the aftermarket (couldn't tell you just where right now, but post the question in the Softail forum and you'll get the gouge ... or do a search) ....

Here's what I'm referring to ...

The bags have about as much volume as any you can get from Harley ... you could cut the backs off your FLD bags and affix the leather bags to your backs so they'd be quick-detach just like the stock FLD hard bags ....

The aftermarket ones come in a variety of options ... without the fancy texture on the flap and without the conchos and tassels ... the various options keep the same shape and overall look of the bags ....

Just my $0.02 ...

R/
'Chop
I think my hardware could be removed easily and applied to most any soft bag but I have to check this out. When they do finally offer those parts for my existing bags separately, I could then attach those to my bags and sell them. In the meantime, I could have soft bags. Yep, I like the looks of the heritage bags too. That saddle bag idea from a horse and tack outfit also brings to mind some very unique options. Definitely going to look into that as well. I'll take some pics today of what I'm talking about concerning the hardware.

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 01-20-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Default existing hardware won't work

I don't think the hardware will work afterall. With the reversed three-point docking points, there's nothing holding the front bottom corner and they would probably buffet in the wind. I don't know how much wind turbulence is right there, but bet it's pretty strong. On the pipe side, I could use the caliper bolt to bolt to and through the bag, but on the other side, there's nothing to bolt to at all. About the only way I see would be to cut off the back of the existing bag like you said. I wouldn't do that though because then I couldn't sell it and i can't just throw them away. Way too expensive.

About the only thing left is to somehow truss the leather bag to that weak point and strong back that front corner to keep it rigid.

I think I'd have to abandon the existing system and go with their regular dyna set up if I wanted to do this. Then I'd have an orphan dock on my back fender. Oh well, it was a thought. Not gonna happen for now.