Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 + XiEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stage 1 + XiEDs?

A few more questions...

Maybe some of you have done this...can you install XiEDs on a bike that also has the Stage 1 download from the dealer without any ill effects?

Will the XiEDs have the same effect and do the same function with the Stage 1 as they do with factory settings? I can't find any real data to suggest otherwise.

I'm going to be trading my Sporty in for a new 2012 FXDC in about 6 weeks & I plan on doing the SE breather and either SE pipes or Rush slip-ons right from the get go, so that's how the bike will be set up. I do not plan on any other performance mods such as cams, etc.

I know a lot of you will say tuner and dyno, but I'm considering either the dealer Stage 1 download or XiEDs and just wondered if there is any reason I can't do both? This way, when I take it to the dealer I can remove the XiEDs and the dealer will have the info that they did the Stage 1 since I will have the SE breather and pipes & I won't have any warranty issues.

Another question....do the SE slip-ons for the Super Glide have the cats in them like the factory mufflers do? I'm asuming they would have to if HD sells them..

Sorry, I have posted similar questions...just trying to decide what to do before I get the bike.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:27 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey sharkman, First of all I would talk to your dealer about what you want to do to the bike, if they themselves will use aftermarket parts, and the stage one itself. Seems like some dealers are really stuck on harley parts and some you will never have to worry about warranty issues with aftermarket parts. My dealer knows I have installed slip ons, A/C, and XEID's and I know they would never refuse warranty work because of it because I have developed a realtionship with them and it helps we are in Texas....

To answer your question...to throw away money on a harley download and XEID's both, you are getting into the price of a tuner. I have three harley dealerships here and they actually sub out the tuning for people that won't go for the download.
I would first start a thread on a quality dyno tuner in your area and talk to them before you buy the bike.

If you can find one....and money is tight...then just have harley do the slip ones, A/C and the SERTPRO or TTS tuner and tell them you want it dyno'd at the place of your choice. You will pay a little more doing it this way, plus you will be financing it, but you get what you want right away and you don't have to put any cash out of your pocket.

Talk to the service advisor at your local harley dealer and ask him who he recomends. Some harley dealers do have a good dyno tuner, but it's rare.

PM lonewolf, he might know someone.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

rooti gave you some good advice.

One thing I'd like to add is do some homework. You ask a question like that on these boards and you're likely to get a number of different answers. This will probably lead to even more confusion.

I always tell people, no matter what it is they are upgrading, you have to ask yourself these questions:
  • How far do you want to go? Is this upgrade going to satisfy you or are you going to go further?
  • Are you going to upgrade all at once or over time?
  • What's your budget?
You answer those questions and then you can have a better idea of what's going to work best for you. If you're just doing Stage 1 with slipons, your "tuning" needs are very minimal and almost any solution will work for you though some are better than others. If you're wanting grow, then you should save yourself some money in the long run and go with a more flexible tuning option than the dealer download or XiEDs.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey Sharkman, If you do go this route you may as well just have them do the full exhaust, just don't get screamin eagle pipes.

I have decided to upgrade to a tuner. Here is something I posted to another member. Thought you might enjoy it:
Ya everyone is different and you have to do what is right for you. I'm not for tinkering with the EFI even though I do my own maintenance. I'm happy with the power it has and if I make it any faster I'll just get myself in trouble. The XEID's have done a great job for when I first got the bike but now I'm at the point that I just want it to run the best it can in the cruising range. Since I really don't know much about EFI (my sporty was a carb) I have spent the last 6 months really reading everything I could about the different tuners and here is my conclusions for me. (again may not be right for anyone else):

1. I am only interested in a tune that reflashes the EFI. I plan to keep the bike long term and don't want a module on my bike that probably will eventually fail, then I've wasted money.

2. I don't want to mess with trying to tune myself, I'ld rather be riding.

3. I have an excellent dyno tuner 15 miles from my house. He tunes for the 3 local harley dealerships new bikes when someone refuses to go with their stage one download. He charges a flat $300 bucks and spends all day on the bike.

4. I kinda narrowed it down to a TTS or a SEPTPRO but didn't want to spend 500 bucks on the tuner.

5. After further research, I decided on the TTS tuner, they have a 2 bike option. (the tuner will marry two different bikes/serial numbers)

6. Talked my brother into having his bike done at the same time and found the TTS with 2 bike option on sale for $499.

So $250 @ for the tuner plus $300@ for the tune. $550. is cheeper then most of the self tuning tuners and I drop it off in the morning and pick it up when he closes....done

Now all aspects of the motor will be tuned, not just adding fuel like the XEID's. I'm so excited, still about 2 weeks out....

Robotech I hope the sporty lives again, it deserves another life and it would be a blast to have the sporty and the dyna

Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in the KN high flow filter, hole-sawed the center plug on my stock mufflers and added Xieds. Got error codes one time, cleared them and they have not appeared again. IMHO the bike idles smoother, gas mileage average dropped about 2 mpg sometimes it is the same or better but that depends on my riding aggressiveness and has a better response throughout throttle range.....like I said IMHO with butt dyno readings. As a side note, my wife asked if I got it tuned up after I installed them. I did wait until first service was done and green-lighted the full warranty into effect. The only thing is the dealer would have to prove the Xied caused a problem if one were to occur. I am at 5,000 plus and no issues at all. Just my experience.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't go with Xieds...they just spoof the computer in closed loop operation by dropping the O2 readings by a certain amount. While it does work, it is the least efficient of all your tunning options. But, if you're on a tight budget they will work just fine for most applications. I went with a PV for my stage one, a bit of overkill but it let's me mod further without having to spend more money on a tuner when I do. Mine runs smoother, is more responsive and my Fuel Ecconomy went UP except when I ride hard...which is what I would expect from making the engine more efficient with the stage one stuff.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robotech
rooti gave you some good advice.

One thing I'd like to add is do some homework. You ask a question like that on these boards and you're likely to get a number of different answers. This will probably lead to even more confusion.

I always tell people, no matter what it is they are upgrading, you have to ask yourself these questions:
  • How far do you want to go? Is this upgrade going to satisfy you or are you going to go further?
  • Are you going to upgrade all at once or over time?
  • What's your budget?
You answer those questions and then you can have a better idea of what's going to work best for you. If you're just doing Stage 1 with slipons, your "tuning" needs are very minimal and almost any solution will work for you though some are better than others. If you're wanting grow, then you should save yourself some money in the long run and go with a more flexible tuning option than the dealer download or XiEDs.
Answering those questions,
- This is as far as I plan to ever go...breather, slip-ons, + whatever I
decide to do as far as tuning goes. I don't plan on ever doing
cams or any other internal mods.
- I'm wanting to do it mostly all at once. At a minimum, slip-ons from
the time I purchase it, and XiEDs and breather after the 1,000 mile
service, OR if I have the dealer do the Stage 1 I will do that before
it leaves the dealer.
- Budget will be fairly limited. I'm going to have the $ for slip-ons, a
breather, and either have the dealer do Stage 1 or spend $100 for
the XiEDs. A $300-$500 tuner is not going to be in the budget...
Trying to keep out of pocket expenses to a minimum and payments
as low as I can.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Like I said before...have the dealer work the complete stage 1 in the deal. It won't really make your payment go up much. Harley will finance that new bike for like 84 months at a lower interest rate then any credit union or bank. That way you'll be set and you'll have cash for gas...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
Like I said before...have the dealer work the complete stage 1 in the deal. It won't really make your payment go up much. Harley will finance that new bike for like 84 months at a lower interest rate then any credit union or bank. That way you'll be set and you'll have cash for gas...
84 months?!?! That's a long time! I figured the most they would go would be 60 tops..

Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Of course it depends on your credit rating, but go the longest you can to keep it in your budget. There is no prepayment penalty so you can make extra payments towards the principal if you want. If you're on a tight budget, then have them do the entire stage one with full exhaust and ask if they do the tuning or just the download. If they just do the download, see if they recomend anyone local to dyno it with the SEPTPRO if your worried about warranty work.

Let us know how it turns out

Quick Reply: Stage 1 + XiEDs?