Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fat Bob owner... tuner & rear fender ques??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:07 PM
HDexplorer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fat Bob owner... tuner & rear fender ques??

Hello All
Great forum!
Just got back into bikes after a long distraction, (unfortunately just ended my 16yr marriage, nuff said). I have a 08' Buell XB12, (lots of fun in short bursts not for cruising or long trips), tried a used Vstrom for a year but it had no "soul". I stumbled into a bike rally last summer; fell in love with HDs and the Fat Bob. Due to my frugal nature I waited for the right one in the used local listings. This guy had a black 09' with only 150kms, (93miles), and stage one!! He originally wanted the CVO version of the fat bob but found one a week after he gave up and bought this one, (it sat in his garage for nearly 2 years). After changing the fluids I started it up and spent a weekend breaking it in. LOVE IT!
Sold the Vstrom, bought a sissy bar, a windshield, luggage and went on a two week road trip with it. Still LOVE IT!
Being an addictive tinkerer I feel the need to change a few things. The bike had a dealer installed stage one with SE intake and I think SE slip-ons. The slip-ons look like factory but without the slash back at the ends. They dealer didn’t put lock tite on the back bracket bolts and one fell out. There is no tuner just the factory box and the bike runs a little hot with an occasional hard start. The pipes sounds like a Honda, (no offense to any Honda lovers), but hey, this is a Harley.
Ques 1:
I'm thinking Rinehart Crossbacks and a tuner kit. I like doing things myself so after I install everything do I need to pay for a dyno on this thing or can I order a tuner that is mapped for the intake and Rineharts??
Ques 2:
I want to do the wideglide fender swap. Does anyone know if my sissy bar will still fit after the swap? Not a sissy bar fan but I need it for my luggage and girlfriend

Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
neocontra
Banned

I'd recommend getting a Power Commander 5. I'm pretty sure they have a map that matches that setup, and if you decide to have the bike dyno'd there are a lot of competent tech's that can easily use the pc-v when doing it.

As far as the sissy bar I'm not entirely sure but if you are talking about the detachable one I don't believe it will fit, as the fender strut bolts are in different spots. If anything you might have to get a kit to push the signals out in order for it to work. Width wise it should be fine, so it's just a matter of aligning the bolts/mounts.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the tuner from FuelMoto and they will have a map for the pipes and ac. They are a dyno shop and have a lot of maps they have done. If you add or change something later they will give you a free map. Very good people to work with.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 PM
HDexplorer
Advanced

Thanks guys. ill check into both Feul Moto and Power Commander. As for the wide glide fender i guess Ill have to grin and bear with talking to an HD parts guy. i found them to know where to look for a part if you know what you need but no help when your trying to be creative.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like to tinker, look at the TTS tuning kit for your tool box, you are able to dial the bike in yourself much better and have a much more reliable bike than any of this add on boxes.. as well as retain all that ECU adaptive capability you paid for. There are loads of ***** to twist and tinker with, and you don't need a dyno to get 98%... and then you are not tied to a specific pipe/aircleaner/cam/displacement combination. TTS has been been the hot ticket among those of us that like to tinker for awhile now.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-14-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
hellfrozeover
Advanced

I agree if you like to tweak it yourself, get the TTS. It is a relatively simple deal and allows you to tune your bike as much or little as you like while allowing you to switch parts without having to drop more cash. If you have the funds (I didn't at the time) there is an option for about $1000 that self tunes the bike eliminating the need to do anything yourself.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cant help you about the fender but i agree with getting a tuner from Fuelmoto, great people and they wont BS you. I personall perfer the ThunderMax/Autotune, Fuelmoto sells them also. If you can manage it get rid of the stock "EPA" cams also, ask Fuelmoto for a recomendation on which ones , bet they suggest the Woods TW6-6 or TW555 . The cams and tuner along with the stage 1 will bring your bike alive and cool it down.

Attached Thumbnails New Fat Bob owner... tuner & rear fender ques??-img_0283-2-.jpg  

Last edited by icebite1; 01-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Disregard.

Last edited by ryderbiker; 01-15-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Cant help you about the fender but i agree with getting a tuner from Fuelmoto, great people and they wont BS you.
There are many that may disagree about the BS here. Forum sponsor Fuelmoto doesn't sell some of the better tuning tools but it appears they sell products they believe in. As with any vendor, however, they are in business to sell their product. They will overlook important characteristic/considerations that could clearly convince you that the products they sell are not the only or even the best for you. They do a lot of work for marketing giant dynojet, and seem to do they best they can with the products they have to work with.

I hear they sell several products that work well for those that just want to ride, especially older bikes, but there are plenty of other and possibly better tuning options to consider. Just saying that there is not one system best for everyone, and Fuelmoto is not the best place to get advice on all the products out there .. they seem to do a bang up job on the products they sell, however.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:24 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
There are many that may disagree about the BS here. Forum sponsor Fuelmoto doesn't sell some of the better tuning tools but it appears they sell products they believe in. As with any vendor, however, they are in business to sell their product. They will overlook important characteristic/considerations that could clearly convince you that the products they sell are not the only or even the best for you. They do a lot of work for marketing giant dynojet, and seem to do they best they can with the products they have to work with.

I hear they sell several products that work well for those that just want to ride, especially older bikes, but there are plenty of other and possibly better tuning options to consider. Just saying that there is not one system best for everyone, and Fuelmoto is not the best place to get advice on all the products out there .. they seem to do a bang up job on the products they sell, however.
Nicely written, I have to agree with you.

Fuelmoto would probably be a good choice for the OP as he sounds to be in the "rider" catagory.

Should always be open to other options when you find them.