Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob - Stage 1 or XiEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:23 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I go with the Super Glide, I'll put some Rush 2" baffles on it right out of the gate to get rid of the cats & make it sound like a Harley, then after the 1,000 service I'll get me some XiEDs and a SE breather & I'll be all set.

Looking like the SG is going to be my best option & best bang for the $. I rode a used 2011 this summer that was set up just about like I want & they're a great riding bike. Not a ton bigger or different than my 1200C, but enough bigger that it's definately noticable, expecially at highway speeds. I think I would be very happy with he SG.
Thats almost exactly the conclusions I came up with before I bought the SGC. (I did try to find that perfect used fat bob right before I bought the new superglide, but I was picky and my 5 year sporty put them all to shame as far as condition)

I did my mods exactly how you are thinking except I found a new big sucker on e-bay for 100 bucks and already had the chrome cover sitting in the garage.

I was instantly comfortable switching over from the sporty to the dyna. Still have just as much fun on the twistys, the freeways much more comfortable, and me and the wife are comfortable riding 2 up.

A few people are making issues over running the XEID's over a tuner....A tuner is better, no doubt. But if the budget is tight, XEID's will do a great job. I'm saving up for a SERT Pro but will have it dyno tuned to get it dialed in. I have a one of the best tuners around just miles from my house.

XEID's are about 100 and when you go to a tuner you can easily sell it for 50 bucks right here. 50 bucks to keep your motor running 25 degrees cooler....no brainer.

I know you want forward controls, but try the mids and add the harley freeway pegs for about 100 bucks and you have the option of going back and forth. Best of both worlds. I have a lot of railroad tracks that I like to fly over. I prefer having my feet in the middle of the bike because a few times it caught me by surprise...

Keep me posted on what you get.

Sharkman I know after following your post you are going to end up with a superglide.

Last edited by rooti; 01-12-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Very good article...everyone considering the Nightrider products should read..
Yup, but it is written by the folks that make the Xieds. Not saying its wrong, just that I'd be cautious of the over-enthusiasm.

They are really just saying that the cat won't be damaged by using Xieds, which is obvious if you read and understood what I said earlier about even stock bikes running richer in open loop than Xieds set the AFR to.

Originally Posted by MrPappagiorgio
Your forgetting that in open loop the catalyst is not at operating temp.
Sorry, don't get your point.

In open loop the cat is operating outside its effective AFR to do its job of reducing emissions but that don't mean it will be damaged or that it will effect performance more or less.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Yup, but it is written by the folks that make the Xieds. Not saying its wrong, just that I'd be cautious of the over-enthusiasm
Before I bought mine, I called the owner and talked to him for awhile. I was actually surprised how much he downplayed his product. He told me he invented them to cool down the motor. I asked him if I would notice any added performance and he said maybe a bit. I was really surprised how much better the bike performed, after talking to him I wasn't expecting it.

The product is what it is....For someone on a tight budget it is worth every penny just to cool the engine down. Is it a cure all? absoulutly not. It does exactly what it's advertised to do and there is no other product that will do it better for the money, period.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Before I bought mine, I called the owner and talked to him for awhile. I was actually surprised how much he downplayed his product. He told me he invented them to cool down the motor. I asked him if I would notice any added performance and he said maybe a bit. I was really surprised how much better the bike performed, after talking to him I wasn't expecting it.

The product is what it is....For someone on a tight budget it is worth every penny just to cool the engine down. Is it a cure all? absoulutly not. It does exactly what it's advertised to do and there is no other product that will do it better for the money, period.
Umm, he didn't really invent it. You can buy the same thing for lots of EFI bikes, like the FatDuc for Guzzis. I think he just happened to make them for Harleys. You can also make your own Xied for about $10, its just a pair of resistors and some wire.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for clearing that up. lol

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats almost exactly the conclusions I came up with before I bought the SGC. (I did try to find that perfect used fat bob right before I bought the new superglide, but I was picky and my 5 year sporty put them all to shame as far as condition)

I did my mods exactly how you are thinking except I found a new big sucker on e-bay for 100 bucks and already had the chrome cover sitting in the garage.

I was instantly comfortable switching over from the sporty to the dyna. Still have just as much fun on the twistys, the freeways much more comfortable, and me and the wife are comfortable riding 2 up.

A few people are making issues over running the XEID's over a tuner....A tuner is better, no doubt. But if the budget is tight, XEID's will do a great job. I'm saving up for a SERT Pro but will have it dyno tuned to get it dialed in. I have a one of the best tuners around just miles from my house.

XEID's are about 100 and when you go to a tuner you can easily sell it for 50 bucks right here. 50 bucks to keep your motor running 25 degrees cooler....no brainer.

I know you want forward controls, but try the mids and add the harley freeway pegs for about 100 bucks and you have the option of going back and forth. Best of both worlds. I have a lot of railroad tracks that I like to fly over. I prefer having my feet in the middle of the bike because a few times it caught me by surprise...

Keep me posted on what you get.

Sharkman I know after following your post you are going to end up with a superglide.
You're right, I'm leaning toward the Super Glide.
I will likely wait until the weather is nicer, like say March, then I will get serious about trading.
Thanks for your input!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am very familiar with the Nightrider products, as I have the X14iEDs on my Sporty & I am VERY please. Bike runs cooler, much smoother in closed loop, idles better, and after I added the SE breather it really brought the bike to life. My plugs look good and I am a happy customer for the $100 I spent.
My concern was how it would affect the cats on the new Dynas, but after everyone's input on here it seems it won't be an issue, but definately won't if I go with the Super Glide and replace the mufflers with some Rush slip-ons right from the beginning, then after the 1,000 service I'll get some XiEDs and a brether. After doing this, I won't have cats, so I will feel safe that I'm not doing any damage to them 'cause they won't be there. I'm sure the XiEDs will have the same affect on a non-cat Dyna that they did on my Sporty, and like I said I am very pleased with them.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey sharkman,
Your likely to get a better deal if you buy in the off season. Plus I think right now they want to clear out any 2011's if they have any.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 PM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrPappagiorgio
I have a 2012 Fat Bob with SE air intake and SE slip-on mufflers. I had the factory download installed. It runs great and sounds good, not too loud. The problem with adjusting the air fuel ratio is that it will damage the catalyst. I think for the sake of warranty you will be stuck with the factory download.
Yes but so doesn't changing the stock exhaust out which most folks do anyways. (This also eliminates the converters or at least it did in my case) At that point you could change things back to stock if you just had to go back to the dealer. For the record I have been running my '10 FXDC with SEII slip-ons and a SE A/C with no download for a long time now with no ill side effects. I currently have about 18K on this. It is my personal feeling that the Delphi injection is more than capable of adjusting for exhaust and air cleaner changes in spite of what you may read on the net or see in Harley's own death warnings on the packaging. But that's just me. As always YMMV.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

It is my personal feeling that the Delphi injection is more than capable of adjusting for exhaust and air cleaner changes in spite of what you may read on the net or see in Harley's own death warnings on the packaging. But that's just me. As always YMMV
You may be right but still isn't going to solve your factory lean condition. In fact, if anything, it will make it worse. Hopefully you don't ride in 100+ degree heat.

Are you willing to bet 15k on your bike that your "feeling" knows better then anybody else?

Quick Reply: Fat Bob - Stage 1 or XiEDs?