Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob - Stage 1 or XiEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to consider is when you richen the AFR more unburnt fuel will reach the cat causing it to burn hotter and superheat the exhaust even more which can lead to discoloring of chrome slip-ons. I'm not saying it will discolor the mufflers but it will increase the temp of the exhaust and increase the possibility.
-Ryan
Ryans the expert, but I know my exhaust is running cooler with the XEID's. They were smoking hot before I added them. I have no bluing either. Rush makes a great product

But duh, I readover the cat part the first time...I am catless

Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Thunder header, V & H, Rush, D & D all make 2-1 full exhaust systems. Probably run you around 750.
Thanks for your input! What you're saying makes sense.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:12 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was torn between the fat bob and the superglide custom. Really wanted the bob but the bling and the 2 tone rootbeer color got the best of me.

You will be happy with either bike

Old 01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has a 2010 Fat Bob with Rush slip-on mufflers. It sounded ok but he was unable to do a good dyno tune. We cut the catalyst out of the header pipe and the sound and power was much better. After dyno tuning the bike hauls a$$. So if you cut the cat out it sound better and performs better. After the warranty is up on mine I'm going to do the same thing. Still keep my SE mufflers though.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharkman, if you are just looking for a better sound until your warrantee runs out, get yourself a set of 2 inch Rush slip ons. Don't change the AF, save your $$ (unless you want a different style). That is an enjoyable bike set up.

When the time comes to focus more on performance, get yourself a good tuning tool for the toolbox, something like a TTS perhaps. Bottom line is that I think a tuner is much more bang for your HD riding satisfaction dollar than any other modification.

You may then want to work on getting rid of the cats, by reaming them out with a hog bit or replace the header pipes and reuse the slip ons... or just purchase a full system.... your choice. Add a free flow air filter if desired and tune the bike right (you already have the tuning tool in your tool box).

This sequence will most likely maximize your riding satisfaction while minimizing your cash outlay. But riding satisfaction is subjective and your mileage may vary.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Sharkman, if you are just looking for a better sound until your warrantee runs out, get yourself a set of 2 inch Rush slip ons. Don't change the AF, save your $$ (unless you want a different style). That is an enjoyable bike set up.
I agree! I have the Rush slip ons and otherwise stock drivetrain and enjoy the hell out of it. The bike pulls plenty hard and has no drivability problems (although I have not ridden it in hot weather yet).
My plan is to up the performance last. The first thing for me is comfort. Why ride if it doesn't feel good? Then I will address the handling. The "squishy" forks and shocks don't inspire confidence in the twisties. The looks I will mod when I get tired of looking at the stock part.
Good feeling, handling, looking bike, then I can put more power to better use.
My $.02 FWIW

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM
wingman9
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharkman - I own a 2010 Fatbob and I put Vance & Hines Bigshots with their quiet baffles on it. I kept the stock air cleaner and I've ridden the bike in that configuration for about 10k miles without any ill effects. The only thing I noticed is that it runs better. I have a friend that works as a mechanic at a HD dealer and he told me you don't need Stage 1 unless you make more changes. The oxygen sensors handle the mixture just fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't get people spending $x00s on an exhaust and an A/C and then doing just a download (which does nothing apart from raising the rev limit a little) or fitting Xieds (which do nothing in open-loop). Unless its for the looks and noise alone?

If you want to do a real stage-1 instead of playing at it then you need to sort out the fuel with a SEPST, TTS, PC or whatever.

As for the FBs cat in the 2-1-2. You won't damage it by messing with the tune. Even stock bikes are set for an AFR of 12.5:1 in open-loop parts of the map and you won't be be doing anything different to this with a good tune.

The modern cat in a FB makes practically no difference to the performance. I have dynoed my '10 bike with an '08 set of downpipes that have no cat and the difference in performance was about 1HP peak. Though it does make a surprising difference in the noise level.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

slip ons run anywhere from 200 up to 400 a set . You can find a good exhaust on sale for 450 to 500 dollars for a full exhaust. I decided to say screw the cats (they make the bike run too hot anyway for me, burned my leg too many times) and get a full exhaust . I have never regretted once getting a complete exhaust system. Save your money, break in your bike , get your 1 K service done and then do the xieds and exhaust etc. Its only my opinion here but to me the extra money for no cats in the exhaust is well worth it.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
I don't get people spending $x00s on an exhaust and an A/C and then doing just a download (which does nothing apart from raising the rev limit a little) or fitting Xieds (which do nothing in open-loop). Unless its for the looks and noise alone?

If you want to do a real stage-1 instead of playing at it then you need to sort out the fuel with a SEPST, TTS, PC or whatever.

As for the FBs cat in the 2-1-2. You won't damage it by messing with the tune. Even stock bikes are set for an AFR of 12.5:1 in open-loop parts of the map and you won't be be doing anything different to this with a good tune.

The modern cat in a FB makes practically no difference to the performance. I have dynoed my '10 bike with an '08 set of downpipes that have no cat and the difference in performance was about 1HP peak. Though it does make a surprising difference in the noise level.
thanks for the information foxster. Nice to know the new cats don't really kill performance any . I decided on a full system because I was disgusted at how hot the pipes with cats got and how badly they held the heat in. I have CP and have to be really careful not to burn my legs. OP if heat is not an issue for you and your not burning yourself sounds like slip ons may indeed be a good option... Im living and learning. One other thing . Stock pipes are heavy , really heavy . My aftermarket pipes shaved off 20 pounds of exhaust weight.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob - Stage 1 or XiEDs?