Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob - Stage 1 or XiEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Yeah, if you are worried about burning up the cats (legs whatever), to use the Xieds on the 2012 FB, you will need to replace the entire exhaust, not just slip ons. You may want to doublecheck with Nightrider.

Other dynas have the cat in the cans, so slip ons would work better there.

Removing the cats is the same as removing baffles (and stock slip ons), and opening up the exhaust.

If you desire, there should be plenty of non cat fatbob take off head pipes arround (2009 and older 96 inch models)
Thanks for the info!
So you're saying if for example I bought a Super Glide and put aftermarket slip-ons on it, the cats in that model are in the muffler body, so I would also be removing the cats while replacing the restrictive factory exhaust at the same time? Interesting...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

This is why I'm doing my research now BEFORE I buy so I know what I'm getting into..good information so far. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MrPappagiorgio
I have a 2012 Fat Bob with SE air intake and SE slip-on mufflers. I had the factory download installed. It runs great and sounds good, not too loud. The problem with adjusting the air fuel ratio is that it will damage the catalyst. I think for the sake of warranty you will be stuck with the factory download.
I'm considering this set up, but with Rush slip-ons instead. I like the deeper tone and slighlty louder sound of them than what the new SE street performace slip-ons have.
The SE slip-ons I have on my Sporty are the "race application" that you cannot buy anymore due to EPA regs. With that plus not having cats, my Sporty barks pretty good, but not obnoxious and I can keep it under control when riding through town & such. When I open it up it really comes to life and is pretty loud.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I was wondering about the cat issue and if richening the AFR with the XiEDs would damage the cats, guess some of you believe it will. That's definately something to consider. Maybe I should consider a full exhaust system instead of the slip-ons?? Then I could put on the XiEDs, intake and not have to worry about the cats with the richer mixture. I would love to have a Thunderheader, but I'm sure we're talking big $ compared to some slip-ons.
Another thing to consider is when you richen the AFR more unburnt fuel will reach the cat causing it to burn hotter and superheat the exhaust even more which can lead to discoloring of chrome slip-ons. I'm not saying it will discolor the mufflers but it will increase the temp of the exhaust and increase the possibility.
-Ryan

Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
cbky71
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting...did not know that...learn something new everyday.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I think what I'm going to end up doing when I get my new bike is having them do the Stage 1 download with the SE breather. I may end up getting the SE slip-ons at the same time from the dealer, then if I'm not happy I'll get something a little louder later on & sell the SEs. This way I don't have any warranty issues and I'm not damaging the cats. Don't want to take a chance on a new bike.

After it's out of warranty, then I'll probably do something different. I don't want to spend the $ for a Thunderheader anytime soon & if I do that I would be better off with a good programmer anyway...both after warranty is out.

Surely the Stage 1 download with the sip-ons & breather will be a descent improvement over factory anyway...both in performance & sound..

Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharkman like others have said, if you do slip ons only you will still have the cats. I would go ahead and get a full exhaust now. (or you'll kick yourself later) If you don't have enough money left for the intake and the XEID's you will be ok. Get rid of the cats now, every thing else can wait. Otherwise you'll spend money twice on the exhaust.
I'm a big fan of the XEID's but I will probably only run them for a year or so and switch to a tuner. I'm currently running slip ons (no cats, I have a 2011 dyna SGC) big sucker open breather, and XEID's. The bike runs great but I will eventually want to dial it in to perfect with a tuner and dyno.

Last edited by rooti; 01-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

If I were going to do an full exhaust, I would get a Thunderheader....wonder what pricing is? Anybody bought a Thunderheader for their Dyna?
Best performance & sound is awesome in my opinion...plus they look bad ***!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Buy exactly what you want for your bike the first time. If you don't, you will spend more money in the long run. If you decide to go with the fat bob then get a full exhaust system, which will get rid of the cats. If you go with the superglide then slip ons only will get rid of the cats and the rush slip ons with the 2.25 baffle will sound close to a full exhaust system.

You can run a full exhaust on a otherwise stock bike without any issues. When you get more cash, you can do the other things... Just my opinion

Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Thunder header, V & H, Rush, D & D all make 2-1 full exhaust systems. Probably run you around 750.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob - Stage 1 or XiEDs?