Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012 | 06:22 PM
Austin Dave
|
Road Master
Default Paint

I don't know what it's called, but I'm wanting a Black-Cherry paint that reveals different under various sight lines. A gloss dark color with undertones of dark cherry color. Make sense? Don't know if this is a trick-paint or a process. Advice appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-07-2012 | 06:58 PM
biketroll
Tourer

I think what your trying to describe is called marble, and I belive you use saranwrap to achive that.?

Old 01-07-2012 | 08:38 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

I used to paint custom cars for 20 years. Candy Brandy-wine sounds like what your looking for. It looks black in low light but under bright-light has a deep red tone to it. That color has a candy red toner in the clear coats. Most painters use some gold metalic with the base coat so what your seeing is the black-gold coats up through the red candy coats. It really looks rich under the right light. I used to love that color.

Go to acouple of custom cars shows and see if you can find it on someones ride. The best way is to ask owners what type of base coat and top coat the painter used. Some guys will show that Brandy-Wine color using red spot lights pointed at the car to bring up the red and gold tones in the paint. Outside under normal sun-light the color may not look as good. Most times it looks like its a deep brown. The trick is to see what the color looks like in normal light. Thats the light you will see your bike in the most.
Theres another color called black-cherry. The difference is the base black will have small silver metal flakes in it and they go over that with a clear that been tinted with a red toner. Looks more black in natural light than brandy-wine which tends to be more on the brown side.

Try some looking at some of the Harley colors.
I think you like the Mid-Nite Pearl or Merlot.
The Harley paint is much easlier to deal with when it comes to terms of trying to match colors if the unthinkable happens. Brandy wine and the Black cherry are next to impossiable to match because of the candy toners in the clear coat. Trying to do a repair to one body panel on a car was tough. I would often have to paint the whole side of a car because you couldnt get a single panel to match the one next to it. You don't really have that problem on a bike because there's some distance between painted parts.
Good luck. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 01-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2012 | 08:46 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

I agree that it sounds like your looking for a candy. From what I've seen most of the colors that give off different hues have pearl in them as well. If you do a google image search for "lowrider paint" there will be about 100 different shades of red that sound like what you're looking for. I reference lowriders because in my opinion they have some I the most talented painters in the field.

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:07 PM
Austin Dave
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
I used to paint custom cars for 20 years. Candy Brandy-wine sounds like what your looking for. It looks black in low light but under bright-light has a deep red tone to it. That color has a candy red toner in the clear coats. Most painters use some gold metalic with the base coat so what your seeing is the black-gold coats up through the red candy coats. It really looks rich under the right light. I used to love that color.

Go to acouple of custom cars shows and see if you can find it on someones ride. The best way is to ask owners what type of base coat and top coat the painter used. Some guys will show that Brandy-Wine color using red spot lights pointed at the car to bring up the red and gold tones in the paint. Outside under normal sun-light the color may not look as good. Most times it looks like its a deep brown. The trick is to see what the color looks like in normal light. Thats the light you will see your bike in the most.
Theres another color called black-cherry. The difference is the base black will have small silver metal flakes in it and they go over that with a clear that been tinted with a red toner. Looks more black in natural light than brandy-wine which tends to be more on the brown side.

Try some looking at some of the Harley colors.
I think you like the Mid-Nite Pearl or Merlot.
The Harley paint is much easlier to deal with when it comes to terms of trying to match colors if the unthinkable happens. Brandy wine and the Black cherry are next to impossiable to match because of the candy toners in the clear coat. Trying to do a repair to one body panel on a car was tough. I would often have to paint the whole side of a car because you couldnt get a single panel to match the one next to it. You don't really have that problem on a bike because there's some distance between painted parts.
Good luck. Hope that helps.
Thanks Ken. Great information. I like the description of the candy brandywine paint and the black-cherry as well. I'll go over to the Harley store next week and check their color pallet. I just received the suggestion of Black-Cherry this morning, so my post was the 1st thing I did for information purpose. Need to find a local pro to do the job. If it don't come in a spray can, I'm not about to try it. I appreciate your help!

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:09 PM
Austin Dave
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
I agree that it sounds like your looking for a candy. From what I've seen most of the colors that give off different hues have pearl in them as well. If you do a google image search for "lowrider paint" there will be about 100 different shades of red that sound like what you're looking for. I reference lowriders because in my opinion they have some I the most talented painters in the field.
Thank you. You mean cars right?

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:22 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

No prob. Make life easy on yourself and spend less money. The stock PPG paint Harley uses and any good body shop shop can give you a nice job at half the cost of the after market custom paints. The custom stuff you see at shows is expensive and not very practical for everyday use. The custom candies don't hold up as well as the stock PPG Harley Paint. Main reason is it takes so many coats of tinted candy color to get that deep color effect then on top of that you use 3-4 coats of clear to protect everything and buff out.
When all is done the paint is so thick that over time with heat and freeze cycles it cracks and your looking at another paint job in 4 to 6 years time.

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:30 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior

As far as the changing color are talking about http://www.kustomrides.com/chameleon-paints/. i dont know if this what you want or not.

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:41 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

Chameleon paint, Crap. Impossiable to match that stuff too. Nightmare. Some places will refuse to repair your ride because they know they have to take triple the time to match the paint and it still not be right.
The massed produced stuff is used for a reason. It lasts and most places can fix it easy enough.

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:48 PM
caaraa
Banned

The stock PPG paint Harley uses and any good body shop shop can give you a nice job at half the cost of the after market custom paints.

Quick Reply: Paint