Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Q:?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 PM
lunchmeat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Q:?

Ok Im a little confused. Ive got a set of V&H short shots coming and I dont have the extra money for a tuner for a while. Will I need to get my bike flashed from the dealer? Anyone know what that usally cost? Any more info would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The stage one flash is like $150 I think. There are a few people running pipes and ac's with no tuner. I ran with v&h straight shots with no tuner and it was fine, but I didn't do an aftermarket ac yet. You will get some decel pop. I would throw the pipes on and just keep an eye on the classifieds here on the forum till you can find a tuner for a good price. Having O2 sensors on the FI bikes you will be ok.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I ran short shots for a little while with out a/c or programmer didnt hurt anything

Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about this as well because there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer. I am also looking at the short shots and they aren't too pricey.

The real money is in the tuners. Will installing the short shot pipes and not installing a tuner harm the motor? I do casual riding and I'm definitely not interested in top performance, its more sound and looks for me.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need a flash

Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Vins
Club Member

Ran Samson Street Sweepers on mine without the tuner. No trouble.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Vins
Club Member

Originally Posted by Stag556
I'm curious about this as well because there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer. I am also looking at the short shots and they aren't too pricey.

The real money is in the tuners. Will installing the short shot pipes and not installing a tuner harm the motor? I do casual riding and I'm definitely not interested in top performance, its more sound and looks for me.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Was told it could cause it to run a little rich and would not be good long term.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
lunchmeat
Cruiser

A buddy of mine said it could cause the motor to blow white smoke and cause the rings to burn up. I do want to add a good tuner later on.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
neocontra
Banned

You don't need the dealer stage 1 download and I would even advise against it. You'd be much better off using that $150 to put towards a good tuner like a PC-V (which you could always adjust as you change your bike down the road), or even a used or new V & H fuel pak.

In the meantime, the bike will run fine. Eventually, you'll want to put a more free flowing intake on and get some type of fuel management on there, as it will make the bike run cooler, stronger, and is overall better for the engine and won't make you burn your *** and legs off when you ride.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
lunchmeat
Cruiser

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Quick Q:?