Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX shock issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
someone actually told you OEM shocks were superior.. Ouch!! Um No.
You need to read up a little more on the FXDX. Shocks are superior to most of the progressive line up until you get to the 970's.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Deadwood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP, I had the same issue when I bought some Burly's, I had to buy top mount bolts from a different model, street bob I think. I will read back through my older posts on another forum and see if I can find a part number for you. Once I bought them I had to gave the built in spacer machined as it pushed the top of the shock too far out so I had out machined down to the same width as the stock mount.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 AM
juper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadwood
To the OP, I had the same issue when I bought some Burly's, I had to buy top mount bolts from a different model, street bob I think. I will read back through my older posts on another forum and see if I can find a part number for you. Once I bought them I had to gave the built in spacer machined as it pushed the top of the shock too far out so I had out machined down to the same width as the stock mount.
Hi,

I have a 2012 street bob, do you think my top mount bolts will be ok with 10.5" Burly ?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM
skinless
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
You must not be familiar with the FXDX... The shocks are far superior to later FXD models. they are gas charged, compression and rebound adjustable. Read this....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/super_glide_sport.htm

Not to be confused with FXDC, or FXDB, models of today.

I have a 99 and I used the stock shock bolts

Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You must not be familiar with the FXDX... The shocks are far superior to later FXD models. they are gas charged, compression and rebound adjustable. Read this....

I am so used to the sucky shocks on every HD I have ever ridden dynas included that I forget they actually put real shocks on one or two of there rides . thanks for the heads up. I forgot the FXDX shocks were the good ones. Ok 99% of the time HD shocks suck LOL.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

I read the article and it certainly makes me wonder why HD doesn't make a bike with street bob styling and FXDX handling. They should never have discontinued this model. Apologies to OP for thinking the FXDX shocks were crap like every other HD.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
I read the article and it certainly makes me wonder why HD doesn't make a bike with street bob styling and FXDX handling. They should never have discontinued this model. Apologies to OP for thinking the FXDX shocks were crap like every other HD.
I dunno but they also cheaped out on the newer bikes on the crankshafts, the breathers, brakes,the drive compensator etc etc.......Of course it can all be upgraded with generous use of the Screamin Eagle catalog....

Regardless, I thank you for the good info on the Mikuni 42 carb that I need.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

I dunno but they also cheaped out on the newer bikes on the crankshafts, the breathers, brakes,the drive compensator etc etc.......Of course it can all be upgraded with generous use of the Screamin Eagle catalog....

Regardless, I thank you for the good info on the Mikuni 42 carb that I need.
guess I better start looking up the SE catalog and getting to ordering parts. the mikuni's don't always get the best mileage but they easily get the best performance . Hope you get the setup you want. The 42 easy kit is a great way to go. and Your welcome for the carb information.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Revival of the thread....just put fxdx shocks on my '06 FXD today. Was a close fit but I had to shim them to get em on. I'm running stock exhaust with SE slip ons. The bottom bolt basically touches the pipe know. Ill prob have to change to a 2-1 pipe for clearance.