Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Ricor Intimidators worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the risk of oversimplification, intiminators change shock valving to be stiffer but they also have a release mechanism that, in effect, sudden changes (bumps) are not restricted as much and absorbed but longer term changes (diving, rebound) is more controlled.

I am happy with mine, absorbs small bumps well (haven't had to replace a filling since installing them), reduces dive, reduces chatter. Some of this may be due to the change in fork oil. I had high expectation, so it was not an oh-wow reaction for me... but reactions are subjective and your mileage may vary.

Progressive springs changes the spring rate, softer when extended, firmer when compressed. They don't provide more shock control although changing the fork oil may.

From reading dozens of posts here, riders seem to be happier with intiminator performance than progressive springs and shock oil alone. Personally I have not used progressives, however.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Personally, I own them but not necessarily agree with the "OMG! I can't believe the difference" crowd on this forum.

A lot of folks have simply upgraded the fork springs and said they were quite happy. Much cheaper option.
I agree with SC-Longhair, not a lot of difference with the intiminators installed. I pulled them out and sold them, then added heavier springs. What HD forks are missing is a heavy enough spring rate and once you get that you need to add rebound damping to control that spring rate. The only way to add only rebound damping to the stock components is to enlarge the compression damping holes in the damping rods and then increase the oil viscosity. The mechanism here it that the thicker oil increases both compression and rebound damping but you are only after increased rebound so you enlarge the compression damping area to return the compression back to the stock level.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

In one word...YES!
Here is my review.
http://drvtwin.blogspot.com/2011/03/...tors-work.html

Drew

Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Iron2640
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after reading so many good reviews about this product, it seems to be an interesting upgrade... I 've got a question for you guys! I 'm already using progressive's drop in fork lowering kit. Can i also install those intiminators as well? Thanks!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for the money , good springs and fresh oil does a lot. if people are having as bad as time as they say about brake diving , something is wrong with their set-up from the beginning

not snake oil...but not the greatest thing since the wheel either

Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Hitman1318
Intermediate

I am currently using the progressive drop-in lowering kit. Also wondering if installing the intiminators will make things better at the front. Anyone done it and has the experience to share? Thank you.

Originally Posted by Iron2640
Well, after reading so many good reviews about this product, it seems to be an interesting upgrade... I 've got a question for you guys! I 'm already using progressive's drop in fork lowering kit. Can i also install those intiminators as well? Thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I went with the Works triple rated springs, Intiminators and the recommended 10 wt fork oil.
Did it once and not looking back.
To me it was the Wow factor.
You can use the Intiminators with any sping upgrade.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

I just installed a week ago and. .no 'wow' factor.

I didn't cut the spacers the 5/8" everyone seems to, wondering if it would make that much of a difference. Current front sag is now 5/8". Stock springs, Amsoil 10w oil at the recommended factory levels.

I took it over a road that has continuous 'light' bumps and it did great there. .but any potholes or larger bumps, I definitely feel them. .so I'm wondering if people are exaggerating how the Intiminators handle larger, sharper bumps. Do they just lessen the degree to which they're transmitted, or do they completely soak them up so you don't even know you went over them if you didn't look?

I've been watching my front wheel since installing. If I hit the brakes, the forks compress a good bit right away.

At this point I want to leave them alone but if someone can offer some insight into changing spacer length or adding/removing oil and if it got them to that 'wow' factor whereas they didn't notice anything before. .maybe I'll give that a shot.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mattVA
I just installed a week ago and. .no 'wow' factor.

I didn't cut the spacers the 5/8" everyone seems to, wondering if it would make that much of a difference. Current front sag is now 5/8". Stock springs, Amsoil 10w oil at the recommended factory levels.

I took it over a road that has continuous 'light' bumps and it did great there. .but any potholes or larger bumps, I definitely feel them. .so I'm wondering if people are exaggerating how the Intiminators handle larger, sharper bumps. Do they just lessen the degree to which they're transmitted, or do they completely soak them up so you don't even know you went over them if you didn't look?

I've been watching my front wheel since installing. If I hit the brakes, the forks compress a good bit right away.

At this point I want to leave them alone but if someone can offer some insight into changing spacer length or adding/removing oil and if it got them to that 'wow' factor whereas they didn't notice anything before. .maybe I'll give that a shot.
If you only have 5/8" sag up front you need to cut your spacers. A good sag number up front is 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" for most.

Brian