Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should've left well enough alone

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Rmuller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gonna rust.. Need to get them re chromed. might get away with taping the outside and spray paint from the back side. Chrome paint or black...

Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same thing a few years ago, three years and no rust problems at all. Drilled by hand and used high temp flat black spray paint.
Great minds think alike. You could use make the holes bigger to get them straight, might save you replacing them.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:05 PM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
Hmmm....looks like a good time to practice with a dremal tool and a rotory file/cutter. Worked good for me when I cut the heat shield for my footboard bracket.

Do the tape thing as suggested earlier, make a template (maybe oval or what ever shaped) and trace it onto the shields. Have at it! you got nothin' to loose.

Best wishes, and Merry Cristmas....Tim(HT)
That's why I love this forum...you're absolutely right...I don't have anything to lose...maybe I can enlarge/even out the holes...and as suggested, when I'm done, I'll tape the front and paint the back side to help prevent rust...not sure it'll work but it wouldn't hurt...thanks for the great ideas.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Hmmmmm. Solid black heat shields would look good.

Any idea what the first guy who did this did to prevent rusting around the cut-outs... or, to Pontiac69, same question?

I'm not planning on doing any drilling, but just seems like you'd need to put some type of clear coat on the freshly exposed, untreated metal to protect it from the elements.
I had this setup on my bike for about 1k miles. Never shown any signs of rust or discoloration. After the 1 k miles i wound up changing it out for the big sucker ac. Its just sitting around in my garage covered up. Looked at it today and still no rust. After i did the job i would up polishing the holes with some wet sandpaper and then hand waxing the holes. Maybe that helped.

Last edited by pontiac69; 12-23-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
BrassHOLE
Cruiser

blew i think not when life gives you lemons make lemonade. i would not call it a total loss i think you should do the whole heatsheild. u got nothin to loose I'm sure you where gonna just order new ones ne way

Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think you should try to fix to your liking. take some tape and with a pencil draw a straight line down the heat shield. Measure out the distances and trace 3/4 holes. Now just use a razor and cut out the traced out holes . Then use a sharpy and trace the holes you cut out. Now you will be able to see how off your holes are and where you can use a dremel to fix. Or you can slot the holes like gym rat did and that looks good. Especially in the flat black.

Did you do this mod while the heat shields were on the bike? If you did it definaly would help with them off. Just line up the holes while its on the bike so you know whats facing forward. Since its a 1/2 round pipe.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

In all honesty I really don't think it looks that bad. Yes some of the holes are off but you live and learn. Just a couple quick tips for next time:

1) Mask the area in painters tape for drill bit grip at first and to ensure you don't flake the finish (this applies to any coated surface)

2) Mark the area with a dot, black magic marker is perfect for this. Use a tap and make self starter indentation for the point of the bit to sit into. This helps in preventing the bit sliding around.

3) Also start with a smaller bit and work your way up to the size you want, a small hole and a step bit for best results. The step bit will ensure a flush round surface. A drill bit hole tends to off set some and you end up sometimes with a hole that isn't flush or perfectly round.

4) Patience is the key, take your time! And if this is your first time doing it, always start on a practice setup. Another piece of metal in this case so you can practice what works best for you.

This is a step bit:

Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gringoloco13
In all honesty I really don't think it looks that bad. Yes some of the holes are off but you live and learn. Just a couple quick tips for next time:

1) Mask the area in painters tape for drill bit grip at first and to ensure you don't flake the finish (this applies to any coated surface)

2) Mark the area with a dot, black magic marker is perfect for this. Use a tap and make self starter indentation for the point of the bit to sit into. This helps in preventing the bit sliding around.

3) Also start with a smaller bit and work your way up to the size you want, a small hole and a step bit for best results. The step bit will ensure a flush round surface. A drill bit hole tends to off set some and you end up sometimes with a hole that isn't flush or perfectly round.

4) Patience is the key, take your time! And if this is your first time doing it, always start on a practice setup. Another piece of metal in this case so you can practice what works best for you.

This is a step bit:
Thanks for the advice and pic. I did use a small bit, then a larger, then a larger. key mistakes, I didn't use tape to align myself, didn't use a step bit (which would've made my holes bigger and nicer) and the big one you mentioned...patience and taking my time.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:34 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what I would do ; Tape em up, mark em for a bunch more holes, not necessarily in a straight line but evenly spaced .Then take a sharp punch and tap the center of each hole.Drill the center of each hole with a small bit first then swiss cheese that sucker with the larger holes.When you're done you could use scotch brite and WD40 to give that brushed stainless look.