Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom or Fat Bob !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011 | 02:45 PM
bonymusic
|
1st Gear
Thumbs up 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom or Fat Bob !!!!

Thankx again for all that you guys do to help all the HD owners; i have learned a lot from this forum. I am currently in Afghanistan Deployed, looking into getting a new Harley while i am here.

I just cant explain how hard it is to pick a Dyna. I love all the Dyna's they are freaking awesome. but I'm looking into getting a Super Glide Custom or Fat Bob. Give me some opinions to help me decide on one.

I like the Forward Controls. Is there a way for me to change mid controls to Forward if i get the super glide custom ?? Also on the on the engine. super glide currently sells them on 96 will it cost me a fortune to change it to 103. or does it even makes that much of a difference ?

Appreciate it guys.

Last edited by bonymusic; 12-21-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2011 | 03:34 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

You won't go wrong on either bike. I was in the market for a fat bob but ended up buying the superglide. The superglide is probably the best value harley has for buying new. That being said...now the fat bob comes with the 103 and already has the forward controls you like. I think the fat bob has an edge in the handling also. Some say its the best handling bike harley has ever made. Now it comes down to looks. Do you like the blacked out or the chromed out look? If you would choose blacked out over chrome then I think you would be happier with the fat bob.

They are both great bikes and as much as I love my superglide, I'm still torn between the two.

Be safe and get home quick. Thank you for your service.

And, by the way, you can put forwards and upgrade to the 103 on the superglide but then your at almost the price of the fat bob.

Last edited by rooti; 12-21-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2011 | 05:01 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior

I have been there too, FatBob or SuperGlide, went for SuperGlide, very happy with it. You have to think what mods you want to do,how your ideal bike should look like, then choose the one that would cost you less to modify to the finish look. You can put double disk, 103", fwd controls, 180 rear wheel on the SG as well, or you can put all the chrome the SG has on the FatBob. One more word on 96/103 selection: surely the 103 has a bit more torque, but a good alternative is to put cam like SE254 or SE255 on the stock 96 and you'll fly over a basic 103 at a lower cost than upgrading the 96 to 103. You will also keep the warranty as they are original HD parts if installed by HD. pleanty of advice on the subject here in the forum... Then in the future you can also decide to upgrade to 103/107/110 etc keeping the same cam etc. etc. Good Luck with your choice!

Old 12-21-2011 | 05:19 PM
jsc485s
Intermediate

First of all, Thanks for your service and all that you're doing for your country! You're a true hero, and you're making a huge difference in the world!
Okay...I'll throw a wrench into your decision making here...haha...It seems the superglide is winning the opinion battle. I too, had a tough time deciding on which dyna to buy only a year ago. I went with a new 2011 Super Glide Custom...Great bike! Loved it! Rode the hell out of it, and woke up in the middle of the night to sit on it, look at, clean it, and think about all of the great things I wanted to do with it....You know...Mods....Well, that list grew pretty quickly, and suddenly decided it would be cheaper in the long run, to just get a dyna that had some of those mods already available...As much as I hated to say good bye to a great bike, I did....I purchased the new 2012 Dyna Wide Glide...Only 3 months later now, and I don't regret it at all....THIS BIKE IS MY BABY!!! Love it! It's very similar to the Fat Bob...Surprisingly...It's a completely different ride than the Super Glide...the 103...yes, I can tell the increase in power...it's like going from a V-6 to a V-8 ya know? But more than that...the ride is more stable and it just feels fantastic under me....sturdy, stable, strong as hell, etc...Anyways...That's me, it works for me...Everyone is different...If ya like the Super Glide, great....but don't rush to order one over there...you'll save...yes, but if I could go back....I'd test ride em first....I would have known instantly, that the Wide Glide was best for me....Trust me...You'll know which one when you take it out...not just sit on it, but take it out. Stay safe and thanks again for your service! Semper Fi

Old 12-21-2011 | 05:21 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

yes you can change to forward controls on any dyna. i have the bike in my sig pic that came with chrome wheels, pulley and brake rotors. i love my fat bob!

Old 12-21-2011 | 06:00 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer

i would go with the super glide custom. i dont think the 103 is that much better to make it worth the extra cost. like previously stated a good cam, intake and exhaust should suit you jut fine if you want more power. you can bolt on some forwards really easy too and it wont be near as but ugly looking as the fat bob. (sorry fat bob lovers but its just not my taste)

Old 12-21-2011 | 06:55 PM
Pappy1955
Advanced
Default Fat Bob for me

The FB 'fits' me better than the SG...at least that's how it felt on the showroom floor. Had the 2012 FB for almost 3 months...no mods yet, and I never, ever, rode a MC before this (56 years old).

Love it...and like the rear fender too!

Pappy
2012 Vivid Black FXDF

Old 12-21-2011 | 07:22 PM
apx07
Cruiser

Fat Bob was my final choice. Based on forward controls (I'm 6 ft and need to stretch out a bit), 103 motor and dual front disks. Probably would have gone with the SG if it had the 103 though (although I wouldn't spend money doing an upgrade though)... I think the 2012 SG might become a bit of an orphan in terms of saleability as they'll probably go to 103 next year too.

Have done lots of mods and love it.. I reckon it's a personal choice on what you like ... The Dyna's all ride well.

Enjoy the chance to buy a new bike!

Here's mine... Still have grips, battery cover V&H pipes, heavy breather and tuner to go...

Last edited by apx07; 12-21-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2011 | 10:47 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

As the other poster said, "test ride both models frist".
You feel and know which bike is right for you.

Old 12-21-2011 | 11:03 PM
tcabello
Tourer

Really is up to prefrence. I own a 'Bob and my best friend owns an Obiese Bob. I would agree that Fat Bob's feel smoother but I don't like the looks as much (No disrepect at all to any Fat Bob owners, I'm sure there's guys out there that don't like street bobs either).

I will throw this opinion out there. For the most part (IMHO) there isn't much you can do to change the look of a Fat Bob. Because of the dual headlights and bobtail fender, a Fat Bob will always look the same.

A street glide is good canvas for you to modify/change the bike to make in uniquely yours. You can go drag bars, t-bars, t-bars with fairing, apes. And you quickly change the look of the bike. I think the Fat Bob doesn't lend itself to that.

No with that said, if you love the looks of the Obiese Robert and have no desire to change/modify it, then fly with it. The smooth ride with the extra torque of the 103 and dual disk brakes is a big selling point for some people.

God Bless and Happy Holidays.

Last edited by tcabello; 12-21-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom or Fat Bob !!!!