Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom or Fat Bob !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012 | 01:26 AM
Bobby9621
Tourer

I bought what felt right for me, and what was the best bang for the buck. Ended up with the SG.

Old 03-09-2012 | 06:45 AM
Norb
Cruiser

Congrats, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Old 03-09-2012 | 07:34 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rooti
You won't go wrong on either bike. I was in the market for a fat bob but ended up buying the superglide. The superglide is probably the best value harley has for buying new. That being said...now the fat bob comes with the 103 and already has the forward controls you like. I think the fat bob has an edge in the handling also. Some say its the best handling bike harley has ever made. Now it comes down to looks. Do you like the blacked out or the chromed out look? If you would choose blacked out over chrome then I think you would be happier with the fat bob.

They are both great bikes and as much as I love my superglide, I'm still torn between the two.

Be safe and get home quick. Thank you for your service.

And, by the way, you can put forwards and upgrade to the 103 on the superglide but then your at almost the price of the fat bob.
What he said

Old 03-09-2012 | 12:38 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Congrats on whatever you get, ride safe.

Old 03-09-2012 | 04:38 PM
98XL1200C
Road Captain

FXDC That's my $0.2

Old 09-29-2012 | 03:33 PM
jimku
3rd Gear

Well, gotta chime in here. I have been contemplating my dream Harley for over a year now, while waiting for an investment to mature, and once it does I will be able to afford any HD that I want. So cost isn't my issue.

First on my list of priorities is handling. That rules out all Harleys except the Dyna line (my humble but very strong opinion ... and that includes the V-rod) even though my end-goal is a bagger with hard bags (I have chosen Corbin Fleetliner bags already). The Fleetliner bags for a Dyna hold nearly 50% more than the bags on HD FLs, and the Dyna is considerably lighter and quicker. Also, I hate fairings and consider a stereo on a motorcycle to be a useless abomination. I prefer just a nice windshield.

I like the looks of the SG Custom the most, do not like the FB rear fender, bug-eyed dual headlights or blacked out treatment. I will absolutely never ride a bike with forward controls, and that rules out softtails and FLs. I want those footpegs UNDER me where they BELONG ... and I actually owe my life to that ... had a bad accident, and if I would have had forward controls that day I would be dead due to not being able to muscle the bike down the right way and would have gone over the high side. At 95mph I entered a corner that had pea gravel strewn all over it ... all of a sudden I was riding on marbles. I literally owe my life to those mid-mount pegs as well as coming up on dirt bikes and knowing what to do with them in a tight spot. A set of highway pegs will still allow shifting position to get the kinks out on long rides.

Power is also not a consideration for me because my bike will have a R120 in it before I take delivery. And that kind of power demands good brakes, so it is important to me that the sliders and brakes from a FB will bolt right up to a SG as will the proper master cylinder (the SG wheels are already set up for dual brakes). http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1012_...sc_conversion/

And regarding handling, all Harleys need a good stablizer such as the Sputhe Positrac Stabilizer, and work on the forks such as Ricor Intiminators and Progressive Suspension Progressive Rate fork springs. (Again, my humble but very strong opinion). I will be using a pair of 13" Progressive Suspension 444 shocks for a bit of added cornering clearance.

Other than the above, salt and pepper to taste (seat, paint, accessories). I will probably mount a 7" headlight from a Softtail because to me the small Dyna headlight looks strange. When I'm all done I will have the bike that I believe HD should build.

Last edited by jimku; 09-30-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2012 | 05:59 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer

I wouldn't own any other Harley but a Fat Bob and I have rode a bunch of different models. Get what you want and ride like hell.

Old 09-29-2012 | 06:09 PM
Tepidy
Tourer

Im partial to super glide. Like stated earlier its an open canvas. I purchased mine knowing i would be modding it. I sunk about 5k in mine (inc labor) and have it just where i want it

Last edited by Tepidy; 09-29-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2012 | 08:14 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master

My order of preference for the Dyna line:
1: Wide Glide
2: Fat Bob
3: Switchback
4: Street Bob
5: Super Glide
This is what I think of them all stock. As far as blank canvas, I'd take a Stret Bob. It's a terrific price, and it blends the old school and new school looks pretty well.

I went with the Fat Bob over the rest for the fat tires and mag wheels, the handling and the dual front discs. As you might be able to tell, I was not a huge fan of the way the Fat Bob looked stock. Now, I feel like I have one of the better Fat Bobs out there, and definitely right for me.

All in all, every Dyna model has its virtues, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck and thanks for your service!

Old 10-02-2012 | 01:04 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Any Dyna is a good Dyna. Enjoy it!