Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Tail Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Tail Dyna

Hey. I was looking at the burlys for a while then decided to go hard tail.

I got a wide glide 2010 I would like you people that have done this to youre bike post some pics here and tell me what glitches did you encounter ... I took 10 inches struts so I guess I'll have to cut my fender a bit, or redrill some holes.

thx

Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

i would say that its just going to hurt on rides around town. you are just strutting the rear of the bike. Not hard tailing a bike. that would involve removing the swingarm and welding a hard tail section onto it.

struts are an interesting thing. they dont give you the cool look of a hard tail. and they dont do anything for making a ride more comfortable. so what do they do?

they are just a cheap way for you to not enjoy every little bump on the road.

that being said I love the look of a actual hard tail bike.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well they do give that fender slammed down to the tire look that hard tails have.... and that does look cool, specially when the fron is slammed too. But the negative handling and scraping of a slammed bike is enough that I think I would spend my money on quality lowered suspension instead. But too each thier own

Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

How about just buying a complete rigid frame that accepts a Twin Cam motor. That way you have no regrets.

http://www.harleycustom.com/Prod-Rol...rames-2-5.html

Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2 cents, short shocks look better than most struts and even though the ride isn't much better it is better.Burly for example makes 10.5 inch shocks that's only 1/2 inch longer than 10 inch struts and a set of shocks looks better on a bike designed for shocks than a couple of skinny steel rods holding the back end together.A hard tail frame or weld on hard tail that's a whole different animal and while the ride isn't so nice it looks cool as hell.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

MOCO has you covered.It's called the Softail line. If you want the hardtail look, and feel, replace the shocks under the chassis with bar struts.

To me what makes the Dyna's great looks are the shocks, preferably with the exposed springs. That's just me, though...dd50

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
CrustySk8er
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the rest of the guys. If you're going with the 10" struts just to lower the bike, you're gonna suffer on the ride. I've got the Burly Brand Slammer kit on my Dyna. The ride isn't touring quality, but it does have some give and I think it looks great!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Swingarm

I heard, from reliable sources, that it will f*ck up the bearings in at the swing arm pivot bearings. I have a set of 10 1/2" not shocks and they are too low for me plus the ride sucks.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Struts came on my Sportster when I got it. Going back to shocks was one of the first time I did to it. With struts the ride is worse and the bike will not stay planted after hitting bumps. In a regular rigid the stress is transferred throughout the frame. With a strut setup, the stress is going to be taken at the mounting points and swingarm bearing. People here, including me, have ended up with busted shock bolts with shocks on the bike. Stress will be worse with a solid link. Sounds like you're going ahead with it, just check your bolts and with the decreased clearance watch out going over speed bumps and curbs.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

pain in the kidneys is in your future. your palm does not lie!

Quick Reply: Hard Tail Dyna