Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between RSD and Road 6 Customs Apes Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What is the difference between RSD and Road 6 Customs Apes Hangers

I am really looking to get 12" bars to replace the stock ones. I think it will help my lower back. I figure instead of leaning forward my hands will be in a more natural position and i will sit more upright and not slouch. Anyway, I am looking at these to brands. The RSD are like 300 and the R6C are 140. Both look the same. To all that have the R6C what are your thoughts on the quality. I am leaning towards those because of price. I was thinking of the 12" but the 8 or 10 look good to. Dont want my hands over my shoulders so i think no higher than the 12".

To those that have 12" apes what cables did you replace. ALso how much longer did the wires have to be extended. WIth those that have 8" will I have to replace my cables? My bars right now are on a 5" stock riser. So maybe with the 8" and 1" risers that may help to and I wont have to go and replace my clutch, brake and throttle cables. Not to mention extending the wires.

This is really the only winter project that i would like to tackle. I think all in all this is going to cost 300-450 bucks.

Thanks in advance.

Just by looking at pics the RSC look like they slant down more at the grip ends than the R6C.

These are the RSD Bars

These are the Road 6 Customs bars

Last edited by pontiac69; 12-10-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM
KungPowMinchow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the rsd vintage short stack apes on 1.5 inch risers and im using the stock cables lengths.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:51 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I am running wild one outlawz 12 inch apes. I didn't have to change out any cables or increase wiring at all. Stock cables and wiring worked fine. for anything higher however I think cables and wires are a must. I like the road 6 customs. I almost went that way. quite a few people from this forum have them and seem to like them.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

So kunpow you went with the 8" bars? I think it looks great. Since i will be pulling the stock 5" risers and putting on 1-2" risers i wonder if they will only be a few inches above the stock bars. Its going to be alot of work. But you said you didnt have to do anything to the cables or wires . I wonder if the 10" bars would be fine. What is the distance accross the bottom of those bars. Road 6 customs has 2 different styles. One for a narrow and wide. I believe the narrow bars are 9.5" on the bottom and the wide are 11.5 accross the bottom. I really like the idea of not having to change out the cables or wires. Do you think the cables and wires will give you 2 more inches so i can go for the 10" bars?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
that_guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out br's bars video on how to measure for apes. Do it a few times without looking at where your hands are. Eyes closed. Im planning on actually making a mock set with PVC just to be 100 percent sure I am making the right decision before i buy a set of bars.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

R6C much less expensive, have never seen RSD live. I have had my R6C for two years, 14" indy lengthen the wires. Have been very comfortable 5'8" hands about shoulder height.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

that guy i was thinking of doing the same thing. hit home depot and buy a legnth of 1" pvc and mock it up. very easy to do since these bars are just straight lines.

hd dan your saying you went with 14" bars from Road6Customs. your 5'8" and your hands are below your shoulders. if thats the case i would need the 14" bars. i am 6' tall.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 PM
KungPowMinchow
Tourer

Originally Posted by pontiac69
So kunpow you went with the 8" bars? I think it looks great. Since i will be pulling the stock 5" risers and putting on 1-2" risers i wonder if they will only be a few inches above the stock bars. Its going to be alot of work. But you said you didnt have to do anything to the cables or wires . I wonder if the 10" bars would be fine. What is the distance accross the bottom of those bars. Road 6 customs has 2 different styles. One for a narrow and wide. I believe the narrow bars are 9.5" on the bottom and the wide are 11.5 accross the bottom. I really like the idea of not having to change out the cables or wires. Do you think the cables and wires will give you 2 more inches so i can go for the 10" bars?
the bars i went with are 30" Wide x 7-1/2" Rise x 6-1/2" Center Width x 3-3/4" pullback and than i got the 1-1/2 inch risers from rsd as well. but the stock cable lengths for the throttle,clutch and brake will work and the wiring you dont have to extend. Im only 5'8" and wanted somthing that just a little bit taller than stock bars on the wideglide

Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hd dan your saying you went with 14" bars from Road6Customs. your 5'8" and your hands are below your shoulders. if thats the case i would need the 14" bars. i am 6' tall.[/QUOTE]

Pontiac, they are just slightly above shoulder. The bars do slant down quite a bit from the "peak" of the 14" height. They also come with plastic end caps at the riser/grip intersection. I put some 12 gauge brass casings in place of plastic.

Last edited by hddan502; 12-10-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
MIKEKIM
Cruiser

I answered your PM.

I'll also say it here, I have the R6C 12" apes with 2" risers. Like you, I felt like I was leaning too far forward and arching my back. It didn't feel comfortable after a while and I wanted a more upright relaxed position.

With the 12's and 2" risers, I sit up better and my hands are below my shoulders and feel a lot better.

As far as cables, I replaced my clutch, idle, and throttle cables with stock+6" so if I wanted to go up to 14's I will have plenty of cable. Also, I replaced my front brake line with stock+6" and I purchased all 4 from Magnum Shields and they are the black pearl series.

Also, I feel I have better control with handling with this current set up over stock and I really like them.

You'll wonder why it took you so long to do it after you ride with them.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between RSD and Road 6 Customs Apes Hangers