Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its dampner time

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dampners and fork brace benifits are not really noticable as far as for the average ride.
A lot of riders claim that they are not needed with the increased size of the modern (larger) forks on todays HDs. I beg to differ with them.

The benifit of either, or both of the up-grades come in extreame riding situations. I.E. animal/object strikes with speed. I'll explain; The dynamics of a rotating oblect..(your front wheel) are tremendous! Any object you may stike while riding is transmitted thru that rotating object (Your front wheel) is transmitted 90 degrees out... in the direction of rotation. It's called gyroscopic presession.

That is to say, if you hit a road hazard, dog, cat, muffler, board, pot-hole, ect. on the road, that energy is placed at the bottom of your wheel. That energy is transmitted to the aft of your wheel creating what is commonly called "death wobble".
Although you cann't completly eliminate it, you can ad to your front end, tools that will reduce its effect.
That's the main purpose of a dampner and/or fork brace.

Believe me, I can attest to this claim. I ride in a ruaral out-lying area for the most part, and have had many object strikes in the past. The first time I struck a small animal, it set up a wobble so severe that I thought for sure I was going to have to take it to the ditch and do a controled exit from the bike with speed.

I have since then installed a fork brace, and an engine guard (to protect my feet) and have had serveral strikes since then.
The results have been the same, a reduced wobble effect for 2-3 beats..the back to normal. And I'm talking serious strikes! A muffler in the middle of the road(in traffic), boards, animal carcuses, ans such.

Just sayin' it has worked for me in my riding enviroment. And I'm convinced that had I not had a brace, I would have been "wadded up" one or more times.

Hope this helps..

Best wishes....Tim(HD)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 12-09-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Fat Fingers....
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same dampner on my bike and it works good. i got it to help reduce the slight wobble i had at freeway speeds after i installed my batwing fairing. and i also noticed it helped me in cornering keeping the front end more stable. my only complaint about that dampner is i had to take the top apart and replace the crappy rubber bushing with a thick rubber o ring as it leaked before. now it doesnt leak since i put the new o ring in. all in all its a decent product for the price hope that helps

Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the DBI steering dampener on my bike for the last 8,000 miles. It works, to put it simply- run it at 5 clicks for for all around use, turn it up a couple of clicks if its windy out on the freeway. Wouldn't go past 10 clicks, as it can make things worse when turned up too far. Kinda ugly, and does leak a little( but continues to work). Planning on rebuilding mine before next riding season, and using the front bracket to hang some driving lights from! And can always use the hardware to mount a Shindy dampener later. It will not work with an engine guard, as it use the top frame mount.

Wouldn't say a naked Dyna needs one, but I run a windshield, and it is a big help on the freeway- reduces sphincter tightening when passing semis at +90 mph. Also keeps the front end straighter when really nailing the throttle at low speeds.

Its dampner time-img_2233.jpg

Its dampner time-img_2235.jpg

Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Steering Dampener

Joe (jrk5892) used that dampener on his bike till the got a Storz or storz look alike...why not ask him how it worked ?

Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put on a Storz-Ceriani last year and feel it helps with the handling especially when getting up into the triple digits and through high speed sweepers.

It's a bit more money than the model on ebay, and while I can't say whether it's any better or worse, I can attest to the quality.

One other model (also more expensive than the ebay model) is one made by Ohlins. It's pretty cool as it mounts horizontally under the triple tree and is less noticeable. It takes a bit of work to make it fit, unlike the Storz-Ceriani which is a simple direct bolt on.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a link to one offered by V-Twin Manufacturing: http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s..._141983_141988

Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by stewbeezer
Heres a link to one offered by V-Twin Manufacturing: http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s..._141983_141988

this looks nice too. thanks!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i am thinking of getting one of these
and i have a tru trac on my dyna and it is not snake oil, simply put it stops the motor and tranny from flexing sided to side which is a big deal since the swingarm in attached to the transmission.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

same mount i use but i upgraded the damper on it

Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Seems like on bikes your always dodging something. in town its grandma and her car full of kids on there way to get lattes. In the sticks its deer, elk, moose, cougar, etc. personally I love living away from the city but you have to be alert at all times. Down where I live there is a herd of big horn sheep that likes to stand in our road. if you dont know where they are it can be a challenge not to smack them. I am going to try a true track at some point but will be interested to see the review on this dampener.

Quick Reply: Its dampner time