Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good price for a 2001 FXD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

DO IT! I paid $7500 for my '04 without chrome. I've spent quite a bit over the past 18 months to get it where I want it.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 PM
TJTony
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Smitty
I just bought my 2002 FXD with some nice mods and 13k miles for $6500. So I don't think it's a great deal, not a bad deal, but not great for this time of the year.
Did you get it from a dealer or private? If i was buying the bike outright, it would be 6500. I need to get rid of the vstar in order to afford it, and i would be lucky to get 2000 for it right now - in the spring no problem. my bike also needs tires and front brakes. also the dealer i am getting it from is the most reputable and preferred in the area due to their style and great service. i also get a sweet discount on any parts clothes and accessories for a year. yeah, i can shop around and try to sell my bike, but i'm not patient enough and i'll get too obsessive about it!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM
J-Smitty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TJTony
Did you get it from a dealer or private? If i was buying the bike outright, it would be 6500. I need to get rid of the vstar in order to afford it, and i would be lucky to get 2000 for it right now - in the spring no problem. my bike also needs tires and front brakes. also the dealer i am getting it from is the most reputable and preferred in the area due to their style and great service. i also get a sweet discount on any parts clothes and accessories for a year. yeah, i can shop around and try to sell my bike, but i'm not patient enough and i'll get too obsessive about it!
I bought it from a dealer, he threw in a new harley helmet also. I have noticed that the price of bikes varies from state to state also. My bike is pretty much chromed out, custom bars and V&H short shots and a 21 inch front wheel. It was a pretty good deal and it was fair. I checked the trade in value before I went to look at it, it was $5900 and I figured they spent close to $100 on the inspection, oil and baffles. So they made $500 on me and I was comfortable with that, they treated me well.

Trade in value on that bike is about 5k, if they are buried in it they will need to get more out of it. That is a $6000 bike at most not entering your trade into the equation at all.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
J-Smitty
Intermediate

So the trade in on your vstar is about $1500 if it needs brakes and a tire for inspection. So a fair deal with your trade should be around $6000 - $1500 = $4500 + tax and tags. That would be a great deal but if the bike has mods that you would end up doing anyway don't be afraid to pay a little more. If you get out of there with $5000 plus tax and tags you are still doing pretty good. I wouldn't say that if it was stripped down.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM
TJTony
Advanced

yeah, i may be off about 500. but i don't have to buy a backrest or forward controls or tires, and maybe make a few bucks selling the windshield and aftermarket seat from the vstar. i used to want a plain black dyna, but when i first saw the blue i fell for it right away. the chrome is tastefully done, it's not all skulls or flames.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
TJTony
Advanced

I got a little freaked out reading about the cam belt tensioners, but hopefully it's not something i have to worry about anytime soon since it's only got 10k on it.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
J-Smitty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TJTony
yeah, i may be off about 500. but i don't have to buy a backrest or forward controls or tires, and maybe make a few bucks selling the windshield and aftermarket seat from the vstar. i used to want a plain black dyna, but when i first saw the blue i fell for it right away. the chrome is tastefully done, it's not all skulls or flames.
A deal around those numbers would be good, the important thing is that the bike will make you happy and you don't over-pay.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Tuffstang
Cruiser

My fist HD was 1999 Dyna FXD bought it used in 2003 with 10k miles on it. This bike looks clean and the paint scheme is cool. There was a recall for the cam tensioners or bearings that was covered under a manufacture warranty. If your nice have them swap the cams while doing the recall work (just pay for pressing the cams in).

Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 PM
TJTony
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tuffstang
My fist HD was 1999 Dyna FXD bought it used in 2003 with 10k miles on it. This bike looks clean and the paint scheme is cool. There was a recall for the cam tensioners or bearings that was covered under a manufacture warranty. If your nice have them swap the cams while doing the recall work (just pay for pressing the cams in).
Is there a recall number? I have not been able to find one. What's the cost of changing it to a gear drive?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havent heard of an official recall.. ??

I bought a super clean 2002 low rider with 9k in may for 7k.. It had stage one upgrade and a badlander seat. I might have slightly overpaid but oh well.. The real kicker is, I was trying to save enough cash for a 07 street bob but I couldnt quite get there. I was emailing a guy on CL about an 08 bob with low mile, a small scratch on the tank for 9500. Three days after I buy the lowrider, the guy emails me and offers the 08' SB for 8000 bucks... I was a little bummed, I paid cash for my 02' but I would have borrowed a grand to get the 08'.

Quick Reply: Good price for a 2001 FXD?