Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to leave idle cable off but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
The safety gurus think it should be there, pure and simple. Big brother protecting you from a non-existent problem.
Its not entirely a non-existent problem. I've seen enough frayed throttle cables to know that. All it takes is one strand to bind in the sheath, and the idle cable is the first defense against an oh-**** moment.

If the OP really wants to run without an idle cable, figure on replacing your throttle cable periodically to reduce the pucker factor.

A little over a year ago, before Dr V-twin (Drew) changed over to an internal throttle on his fatty, we found a frayed throttle cable that was about a month away from Mr Toads Wild Ride. The frayed strand had already started chewing away at the mouth of the sheathing.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Its not entirely a non-existent problem. I've seen enough frayed throttle cables to know that. All it takes is one strand to bind in the sheath, and the idle cable is the first defense against an oh-**** moment.

If the OP really wants to run without an idle cable, figure on replacing your throttle cable periodically to reduce the pucker factor.

A little over a year ago, before Dr V-twin (Drew) changed over to an internal throttle on his fatty, we found a frayed throttle cable that was about a month away from Mr Toads Wild Ride. The frayed strand had already started chewing away at the mouth of the sheathing.

I reduce the pucker factor by doing regular maintenance and checking these things. In 45+ years of riding I have yet to have a throttle cable go bad out of the clear blue and leave me stranded. (knock on wood). You do have a kill switch and a clutch.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a throttle stick wide open once on my 72 Sportster that had been built with a Mikuni on it. It was a cold damp night and the damn slide in the carb actually iced up and with no return, it was one hell of a ride till I got the slide back down..Fortunately I was on a long traffic free road..I put a BIG return spring on after that..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I been wondering the same thing about the idle cable,I am gonna take mine off today it looks alot better imo

Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep it's coming off. Never thought about doing this.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed them on both of mine, and in 7 years I have had no problem.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update I went ahead and removed the idle cable, and as stated above once the housing is closed back up it does stop it from over rolling....

However now the issue is I cannot tighten the cable enough without running out of threading otherwise there is just too much slop.

Friggin pissed.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by neocontra
Just an update I went ahead and removed the idle cable, and as stated above once the housing is closed back up it does stop it from over rolling....

However now the issue is I cannot tighten the cable enough without running out of threading otherwise there is just too much slop.

Friggin pissed.
You sure you put the ferrule back in the correct position, you should have plenty of adjustment. There is no difference in this regard whether you have 1 or 2 cables.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
You sure you put the ferrule back in the correct position, you should have plenty of adjustment. There is no difference in this regard whether you have 1 or 2 cables.
Yeah I'm sure..If I don't take enough slack out of the throttle cable the grip is way too sloppy and all over the place. I might be doing it wrong, but I want the cable to be tight enough so that the throttle is being stopped by the switch housing itself and not rolling freely back and forth.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by neocontra
Yeah I'm sure..If I don't take enough slack out of the throttle cable the grip is way too sloppy and all over the place. I might be doing it wrong, but I want the cable to be tight enough so that the throttle is being stopped by the switch housing itself and not rolling freely back and forth.
If you have it put together correctly it will be, I have mine at zero play in the throttle. You have something in the wrong place.

Quick Reply: Want to leave idle cable off but...