Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn signal help

I recently installed a front turn signal relocation kit on my 2012 Street Bob. When I connect the wires coming from the turn signal housing to the bike itself, the left side (clutch side) stays constantly on and the right side (throttle side) does not come on as a running light. When I turn the hazards on, the left side faintly blinks but still remains constantly on and the right side blinks normally. I have checked all wiring and everything seems in order. All wires in the connectors are matched up to the corresponding color on the bike.

I have even reversed the connectors and plugged the right into the left and vice versa....I still get the same result of a constant on on the left side and no running light on the right side.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

From what I understand wiring on the 2012's is very different, so let's start with what wires you had, colors, location, type of connection, and work from there.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Stag556
Road Master

The turn signal relocation kit comes with brand new internals for the turn signal housing. The wires from that are purple, a purple with a second color through it and a black wire. I crimped those wires into a plastic connector which then plugs into the female connector already in place from the factory under the tank. All colors are lined up in the connectors correctly to connect with the corresponding wire.

I checked all wires from the switch gear to the housing and no grounds or shorts that shouldn't be there.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Do you have the part number for your relo kit?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Stag556
Road Master

The part number is 69433-08A. For 2012, it came with brand new turn signal housing internals because the instructions tell you to cut the original wires due to the turn signals being wired internally with the switch gear wiring.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Check the wiring off the original house internals, are they the same colors?
What happens when you use the turn signals?
Try running a system diagnostic and see if there is a code being thrown out. (I posted a thread about how to run this, do a search)

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

When you say it came with brand new internals, does that mean you crimped pins on the wires?? What did you crimp with? Can you post pics? Pull the wires from the housing, post pics of them please. It sounds like something wasn't done right, but it is very difficult to diagnose electrical issues online without seeing it.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So your using the stock turn signals and this turn signal relocation bracket. Since your using the stock turn signals as well as you have reversed the the signals from the left to the right with the same result it has to be your wiring. The best thing to do is redo the wiring. I would cut the wires at the connectors. Take my multi meter and test each wire. How many wires are there, 3? Maybe a ground, constant running light, and a blinker. With a meter find each one. Put the blinker on and test each wire till you find the blinker and so on.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pontiac69
So your using the stock turn signals and this turn signal relocation bracket. Since your using the stock turn signals as well as you have reversed the the signals from the left to the right with the same result it has to be your wiring. The best thing to do is redo the wiring. I would cut the wires at the connectors. Take my multi meter and test each wire. How many wires are there, 3? Maybe a ground, constant running light, and a blinker. With a meter find each one. Put the blinker on and test each wire till you find the blinker and so on.

Don't want to be disagreeable, but do not cut wires before you diagnose, you can pull the wires out of the connectors without cutting.
My thought is IF he put new pins on they are not terminated properly since he is adamant the colors are matched up.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Stag556
Road Master

I apologize for the rough explanations of things, hard to do through typing. To start, yes, I had to crimp new pins onto the ends of the new wires, then insert those pins into a new male connector.....the female connector was already wired into the bikes wiring harness from the factory.

The old turn signal wires are the same color as the new ones that I currently am using.

I will post pictures up shortly. This could very well come down to my wiring, which I am a novice at. Hopefully I can get this worked out. Thanks for the responses so far.

Quick Reply: Turn signal help