Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All crimps on the wire ends are tight and have no play whatsoever. I used a circuit tester and the harness on the bike is functioning properly...power, flasher, ground. I have isolated it between the connector and the turn signal housing itself.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if all the cicuits test fine with a circuit tester but act as you say hooked up then i still think you have poor connections other than that i just don`t know, look forward to your fix

Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

OK lets clarify.

You used a voltmeter and verified the voltage on the turn-signal connectors (left & right) coming out of the frame near the triple-tree. The running light wire showed 12V and the flasher alternated between 12V and 0V when the appropriate turn signal was engaged?

If this correct I would check each bullet by connecting each to 12v to see if the bulb lights up (both the running and turn signal for the left and right bullets). If that works then I'm lost....

Sometimes when you pull out the wires in the frame (from the plug near the triple-tree) to get access to the turn-sig connectors you can stress the wiring in the harness and disconnect something, but checking the connectors with a VOM should verify that.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Through multiple tests with my father, it turns out that the new turn signal internals are bad. Both of them. Hooked the old internals up to the new connectors with my wiring and they work flawlessly.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stag556
Through multiple tests with my father, it turns out that the new turn signal internals are bad. Both of them. Hooked the old internals up to the new connectors with my wiring and they work flawlessly.

Bingo!

BTW don't feel bad. When I installed my mirrors w/ integrated turn signals I had to pull out the wiring from the frame and install those very large pig-tails harley uses to y into the turn signals (also the mirrors are only 2 wire not 3 so the blank the running lights for turn signals). In doing so I broke a ground lug off the wiring under the seat on my FXDX. Nothing worked. Signals, head lamp, bike would turn over, but wouldn't start etc etc etc. after several stressful hours I finally dragged out the service manual and followed the multiple (and I mean multiple) pages of trouble shooting flow charts. In the end the answer was missing ground on the turn signal controller. Traced it back and bingo. Broken lug.

Last edited by PhotoRider; 12-06-2011 at 08:44 PM.