Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
hopwheels
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearing help

Hey guys,
Bought a replacement front wheel for my '07 Street Bob. Simply a cosmetic swap, last owner let spokes go with brake dust and rust.

Got a great deal on a takeoff online. Was advertised as fitting '07 FXD, and the size stamped on it was T 19 x 2.50 TLA, same as the one I was replacing.

Bought a new ALL ***** bearing kit (mfg PN 25-1394) and the correct inner spacer / sleeve PN 43641-01.

Took it to a local indy to have the bearings pressed in, and the result is below:

Left bearing was seated first, and seems to fit correctly, recessed approx 1mm from hub edge.

Internal spacer seems to fit as is should.

Right bearing sits proud approx 1mm.

The indy mechanic removed the bearings after initial install and measured the race depths to find left 22mm and right 19mm??

Been hunting for answers and decided just to post.

Do I need to machine down the right spacer by 2mm to compensate? What seemed like a straightforward swap is not working out that way. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by hopwheels; 12-04-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: fixed links
Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master

WOW The Only thing that I can think of is that there is a front and back bearings and they are thicker because of the wieght . I know that 2007 bearing are 1 inch and newer bearings are 15 mm hope it helps good luck

Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

The spacer has a 2001 part number. I inch bearings were not used until 2006. I don't think you have the correct spacer.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 AM
hopwheels
Advanced

That's the part number that came up for the '07 FXDBI from the Harley microfiche that's online. As I mentioned the race itself on the right side seems to be shallower by 2mm. If you look down the bearing opening, the bearings are both seated and the spacer/sleeve moves freely with not a lot of additional play (which is what I've read is correct).

Old 12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
hopwheels
Advanced

bump for help please

Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I would measure the distance between bearing shoulders (where the bearing sits) on the old wheel then compare to the new wheel. Not just the depth of the bearing bores.
The spacer is critcal.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Looks like to me they put the wider Softail bearing in it. However if that was truly case both would stand proud. What does the depth look like on your old wheel and length of bearing? Not sure were they come up with the 19MM but thats close. The older Dynas use 3/4 width.. (.750) 19 is .748 22 is .866 . First bearing goes on brake disk side all the way in which I assume is the .748 side. Then the other bearing with proper spacer should let bearing go nearly flush with face of wheel hub. Use your old spacer. However removing the proud bearing will distroy it. Be sure the inner spacer is always longer then the internal length from the bottom of the c-bore to the other bottom depth of the c-bore. Check my album on wheel bearings on how this all works out. I drew it all out to better show it for tapered and sealed bearings like yours. Not sure if Dynas however have double row but same principals apply.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-05-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

That right bearing looks like it isn't very happy right now.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
hopwheels
Advanced

Hate to say it, but I'm going to take it to a dealer to figure out. If it truly has different depth races as my indy mechanic measured (19mm right side, 22mm left side), they'll know (hopefully!) what bearings and spacer to fit to get them seated correctly and fitting my 07 Street Bob properly. Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 AM
hopwheels
Advanced

Problem found...Dealer discovered what I bought on eBay was an 08 laced wheel, not an 07 (as advertised). Looks like if I switch over to all 08 (25mm) inner/outer spacers, bearings, axle I'm back in business on my 07?

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing help